365 Challenge: Day 346 – Roda

Roda: who came to NYC to visit me — you can check out her blog profile at GrowingSelf

IMG_3304

As many of you figured out from a few posts, Roda from GrowingSelf visited me in NYC this weekend. We’d been having a lovely week of 65 degree weather, a very comfortable temperature filled with sunny days and light breezes. The darkness and the rain descended upon us Friday morning and just finished as Roda left for the airport a few minutes ago. (Correction…this is Roda, by the way, and I am still here.  The rain ended yesterday afternoon.  Jay is sharing his “Untruth” now.) I’m not at all suggesting it’s a coincidence. Just setting the tone… as it’s been quite an interesting (Interesting…let’s consider a new word choice, my author friend!) trip! I’ve learned a few new words, such as woozy. I believe it’s a combination of what and boozy, but I am still trying to get a clear answer. (Definition: woozy is when your head feels floopy because your so called “friend” keeps adding boozy to your glass, while you are making him a birthday cake, without your knowledge!) It hasn’t been easy as she just opened a bottle of champagne before we left for the airport as her “see ya later” toast. (Oh my goodness…more untruth!)

Part of our trip included taking in a Broadway show. I wanted to go to a memorable show that would inspire us. Roda selected Book of Mormon… and let me tell you, I learned quite a few new four-letter words. It was a show full of sarcasm, just like her! (More untruth) She cried during the scenes from laughing so hard!!!

IMG_3359

(Truth…it’s Roda again…I knew NOTHING about this production.  When Jay said it would be inspiring and moving and to make sure I brought my tissues, I had no idea what he truly meant!  Naughty, I tell you!  My Little Bro is naughty!) I cannot repeat the words we learned as I’d have to wash my mouth out with soap.

I did introduce her to the taste of Jack Daniels and ginger ale. (Not by choice!) She baked a chocolate marble cake with my assistance (51% me, 49% her). (So not true…once again!  Jay was happy to sit, at the table, with a bottle of bubbly in each hand, trying to play cruise director.) There was flour everywhere! And I didn’t get any candles to blow out either. (Let’s just say, after three grocery store trips, I could not find enough candles for Jay’s age, so I decided to count by 5s instead.)

IMG_3353

(There was also flour everywhere, due to the fact that Jay was throwing it everywhere…maybe because of his “woozy” head!) We tried taking pictures, but she kept making funny duck faces (don’t even ask, but I did try to recreate it below!) and they might be too embarrassing. I’m sure we’ll post more pictures when we have time to format and fix them.

IMG_332228535451_1796316714003122_1349014098_n

A few other facts:

• We spent 2+ hours in multiple grocery stores because someone couldn’t find the ingredients she needed to make part of dinner. We had fish, bruschetta and broccoli.
  • We played Uno. She LOST bigtime. W also beat her. (We decided from the beginning that the person with the highest score would lose.  Jay could not locate the directions and now that he has, he wants everyone to think that he actually won!  Jay has truly set a new record for the highest losing score, of all times!  I have already notified the Guinness Book of World Records!)

28450017_1796318057336321_1908254556_n

• We walked around NYC for several hours each day. She was super afraid of grates, yellow banana cars (cabs as you and I know them) and anything that moved on the sidewalk, but oddly enough, she was fascinated by pigeons. What??? She also brought farm animals and I had to keep pointing out which was her drink (see below) because she wasn’t always aware enough of her surroundings… and she slipped on the floor multiple times. (Jay sabotaged my glass numerous times!  Also, the slipping was due to the fact that Jay spent a week cleaning his floor before I arrived.)

IMG_3335

• We saw Grand Central Station and she purchased us cupcakes… then I went to the bathroom and she ate them both!!!  (Again…so untrue) We did whisper in the corners across the vestibule and she was totally shocked at how you could hear each other over 100 feet apart.

28459303_1796316697336457_1588673925_n

• She brought me a gift… ‘NomNom’ wine glass holders – see above. She preferred the male drink holders below… and named them Cody and Chad. Then she and W decided to put them in ice cube trays for their drinks. I was not drinking, so I really don’t know what this is all about! (I have no words…)

IMG_3360

• She had issues with shin splints from walking so much… then blamed it on the shoes! WAMbulance. (I admit…I chose fashion over practicality, on this day.  This is the first true statement Jay has made.)
  • I have never eaten or drank this much in my life. Every day…. oh my she can be a pusher! She also gets very bright red cheeks when she drinks. Someone had 4 days of red cheeks!  (I must say, the food in NY is spectacular!)

The moral of our story here… to keep this short… is how fun it is to meet someone you’ve chatted with for nearly a year on the Internet… and I’ll happily say, she’s exactly the same in person as I’ve seen, heard or read about on her blog. And that’s a good thing! (It is Roda again… I so want to disagree, but I have to say that Jay is the same talented, kind and completely adorable man we all know and love.  I was honored to spend four days in NY, laughing and having fun with my Little Bro.)

28459469_1796317307336396_1096868225_n

98 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 346 – Roda

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    February 26, 2018 at 5:33 PM

WOW! And a wonderful time was had by all! 🙂
    –Michael

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    February 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Aww this was lovely to read- sounds like you both had so much fun! 😀

theloyalbritwit said:
    February 26, 2018 at 6:14 PM

Sounds like it was a blast all weekend!!! Had me in giggly stitches while reading! Thanks for sharing your memories and pictures! 😁

February 26, 2018 at 6:23 PM

It is so wonderful you two finally met up and had a fabulous time! I could tell a strong friendship between two of you, this post brought a smile on my face!!

Kiersten said:
    February 26, 2018 at 6:28 PM

Go back to the part that says she brought farm animals with her. You can’t gloss over that one.

It sounds like you guys had a great time! All of that sounds like tons of fun.

February 26, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Ha! We did have fun. She brought the sheep and piggy wine glass holders… those were farm animals this time. Although… had she brought a real one, I’m not sure what I would have done.

samfiftysomething said:
    February 26, 2018 at 7:18 PM

A great read & love the fun glass decor 😂

Robin @The Robin's Nest said:
    February 26, 2018 at 7:36 PM

SOOOOO FUN!!

mainepaperpusher said:
    February 26, 2018 at 8:38 PM

I have decided that I don’t believe either one of you…or do I believe you both? It’s hard to know but I am thrilled that you two had such a fantastic weekend. Hugs to you both!!!

The Cozy Pages said:
    February 26, 2018 at 8:39 PM

Oh my goodness… you guys are so cute, sweet and funny! What a lovely weekend adventure you had. All the best to you both.

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    February 26, 2018 at 9:35 PM

This is so awesome!!! I love how you two have bridged the gap from virtual friends into true blue, real personable camaraderie! Sounds like loads of fun… and drinks 🙂 My kind of weekend!

February 27, 2018 at 7:48 AM

That’s a fantastic summary… bridging the gap from virtual to true blue – thank you!

Eileen Sim said:
    February 26, 2018 at 9:47 PM

Yes, it is super fun to meet someone you’ve chatted with for some time on the Internet.

russtowne said:
    February 26, 2018 at 11:22 PM

Here’s a toast to a doozy of a woozy post!

February 26, 2018 at 11:25 PM

Thanks for taking us on your fun weekend adventure. Oh to be a fly on the wall and know the REAL story.

shalini said:
    February 27, 2018 at 12:21 AM

Wow this is such a fun post. Roda and Jay, we all could see the special bond between you guys. And now it has transcended the virtual space to reality. That is so beautiful.
    The camaraderie between you guys is fabulous. I loved Roda’s comments. She is too funny. It is obvious you guys had fun. I bet we would have loved to see the funny banter between you two. Any such vids??

February 27, 2018 at 7:49 AM

Thank you! We had a few quick videos but they were out of focus and/or when the other person didn’t expect it. So not of postable quality.

thewinerywoman said:
    February 27, 2018 at 5:22 AM

What a fantabulous weekend you both had! I loved this post! Sounds like my sister and I trying to tell the same story each with our own truths. lol. Oh…and I must get some of those “NomNom” wine glass holders.

February 27, 2018 at 7:51 AM

you should buy them – very fun to put on the glasses. It’s good to have that bond with someone. 🙂

thewinerywoman said:
        February 27, 2018 at 9:50 AM

I will! Roda, please tell me where you bought them. 🙂

February 27, 2018 at 10:04 AM

World Market, I believe

thewinerywoman said:
        February 27, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Thank you! Since I live in Spain I will ask my sister to go shopping for me. World Market is one of the stores I miss the most. Thanks again!

LA said:
    February 27, 2018 at 8:10 AM

❤️❤️

February 27, 2018 at 8:52 AM

Reblogged this on Growing Self and commented:
    I am back in sunny Michigan this morning, after a wonderful adventure in New York City! Temperatures are going to be in the 50s today! Woo-hoo! Before leaving NY, Jay and I wrote a blog post together, about our weeekend. The TRUTH can be found in the italics…
    Love Yourself…Embrace Yourself…Just Be You…
    Roda

February 27, 2018 at 2:47 PM

I was so looking forward to reading what you and Roda got up to over the weekend and this didn’t disappoint. I loved reading this and I was laughing throughout. I’m not sure who’s story I should believe is the truth so I’m going to go with both on this one.

Lisa@LismorePaperCo. said:
    February 27, 2018 at 5:42 PM

I was waiting for this post! I love that you two were able to have a fantastic visit! Both of you are entertaining and so talented. Love the ice cubes!!

February 27, 2018 at 5:51 PM

Aww, you are so kind!!! Thank you. We had a fantastic time. A friend gave me those win glass holders, but W chose to put them in the ice with Roda.

shellypruittjohnson said:
    February 27, 2018 at 7:50 PM

Roda is so fantastic! It looks like you all had an amazing time. I really liked this post and the dueling comments :).

February 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM

Yes, she is. I’m glad to connect with a friend of hers! We had fun writing there post, too. Dueling!!!

February 27, 2018 at 8:45 PM

Dueling is the perfect term!!

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    February 27, 2018 at 9:48 PM

So cool that you two got to meet and everything was just as awesome between you two in real life as it must be online! And that adventure also sounds fun! Thanks for sharing, James. 😀

February 27, 2018 at 10:13 PM

You’re welcome. We luckily hit it off quite well on the blog, and it translated smoothly to reality. Hope you are doing well.

Beware Of The Reader said:
    February 28, 2018 at 2:16 AM

I’m so so happy that you met and had a great time! I discovered Roda thanks to you Jay and I’m now a fan as I love her philisophy, her kindness, her immense talent to take pictures. I’d rather follow shows on animals on TV so I feel at home on her blog. That’s also true what you said about meeting the person you are chatting with for one year and going great in real ife. That’s what happened to me this weekend meeting my favorite authors as I had chatted with most of them for months now! It felt like meeting an old friend and going home.

February 28, 2018 at 7:56 AM

I’m so glad you had an amazing time with the authors this weekend! 🙂 Roda is great, you will continue to love her posts! 🙂 Thx for sharing.

carhicks said:
    February 28, 2018 at 1:27 PM

What a wonderful weekend. So much fun together. I often use the word Woozy, but it does not always have booze involved. So glad you got to meet and you hit it off so well.

dtills said:
    February 28, 2018 at 6:57 PM

Haha! Sibling always find something to fight about, don’t they? It is great that you both had such a wonderful time 🙂

kerrymckim said:
    March 1, 2018 at 3:20 PM

I love this.

jeanleesworld said:
    March 2, 2018 at 10:20 PM

Sounds like a lovely weekend! All writers have to take that breather every now and again, as I have said once…or twice…promptly ignored until my body said otherwise, and so on… 🙂

March 4, 2018 at 5:34 PM

What a fun time! Company that entertains themselves are the best kind!

Patty said: