365 Challenge: Day 347 – Defeat

Defeat: win a victory over (someone) in a battle or other contest; overcome or beat

defeat

“Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.”–Marilyn vos Savant

Note: I found the quote at this site.

Today’s 365 Daily Challenge is a short message for two reasons: (a) I have been offline for a few days and have a lot to catch up on but I will not worry about getting it all done, and (b) a few friends are battling some issues today and I want them to know defeat is not the answer. To expedite the word choice, I executed one of my infamous Google searches. Luckily, nothing bad returned this time, but I did stumble upon the website that I included as a link above. The quote I chose was the inspirational quote for today, February 27th. When I saw the word defeat, I knew it was appropriate. Whether we’re battling being sick, tired, re-entry, or just having too much to do, understand that defeat is not the answer. Take it slow. Don’t stress as it makes the situation worse. Just know a few things you can accomplish in the time you have available and let the rest go. Don’t watch the clock to get more done than you planned. It’s life. Relax and enjoy. And that’s my only simple message for today.

47 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 347 – Defeat

tylerus said:
    February 27, 2018 at 9:05 AM

And a good (strong) message it is, too. )

bmary8222 said:
    February 27, 2018 at 9:24 AM

I love the quote.

Chauncey Rogers said:
    February 27, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Deep breath. I needed this one today. Thanks, Jay.

February 27, 2018 at 9:27 AM

Good, I’m glad to help. I will be starting Happily tonight or tomorrow… Can’t wait.

theloyalbritwit said:
    February 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Very well written, Jay, and quite what I needed to hear this morning! Hope you have a good Tuesday! 😁

February 27, 2018 at 9:35 AM

Thank you! I have to catch up on your blog — and congratulations! Sent a quick email last night, but we need to figure out if we’re doing anything soon!

theloyalbritwit said:
        February 27, 2018 at 9:55 AM

You’re very welcome!! Yes, we do! I shall make a note to check the email and get back to you as soon as I can.

February 27, 2018 at 9:56 AM

no pressure… even if we just mention and link posts! 😛

Mary Deal said:
    February 27, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Wise advice. I used to be bothered by unfinished work, unrealized goals, short and long term. However, i learned long ago life doesn’t end when I cannot finish something. Today, there must be some pleasure to offset the worry. Now I don’t even do that. I congratulate myself for what I’ve accomplished. In doing so, I never feel defeat any longer. All I feel is glad I’ve accomplished as much as I could.

February 27, 2018 at 10:10 AM

You have the wise advice in this comment. Thank you for sharing. I think it will help many readers of the post! I’m glad you shared it, as well as found the way to deal with it in your own life. You’ve accomplished a lot just as a writer and artist from all I’ve seen.

Mary Deal said:
        February 27, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Thank you, James. Something most curious is that in my past, I was filled with negative thoughts like What if i don’t get everything written, or painted, or photographed, before I leave this life? What if? What If? This is one of the most debilitating thoughts and attitude a person can have. I had to overcome that. Something that helped me, a friend said as long as we make every day count and you give thanks for what we’ve accomplished (no matter how little or how much), then we’ve actually exceeded our own expectations. To that I would add that Providence lent a big hand in my life. You know that saying? If you take the first step, Providence steps in to lend a hand. Believe it! When you take the first step, everything begins to snow ball and you’re going to end up on a wild and fulfilling ride.

February 27, 2018 at 10:39 AM

That’s a new saying to me. I know the word ‘providence’ in that aspect, but not the whole quote. Thanks!

stephaniebaka said:
    February 27, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I’m in chemistry while reading this.😆😭 It’s was really helpful, thank you 👌🏾😊😆🤙🏾

February 27, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Ha! Don’t let that defeat you. You are stronger. Lol. 🙂

stephaniebaka said:
        February 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM

I don’t know I’m having doubts

February 27, 2018 at 10:38 AM

It’s only an hour long, right? LOL it could be worse… like physics or biology. At least you can make things explode in lab!

stephaniebaka said:
        February 27, 2018 at 12:31 PM

You’re right 😀 A small comfort in the explosion of chemicals, lol

February 27, 2018 at 12:32 PM

ha

February 27, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Ummm… you forgot to add something in your post about defeat. You, the master of boardgames, were defeated, horribly, in a very simple game of Uno. Just didn’t want you to forget about that! 😉 no thank you is necessary. Glad to help.

February 27, 2018 at 11:01 AM

I see you are still confused about how the scores in Uno work. The image clearly showed I had over 500 points. The rules in Uno clearly say the first to 500 is the winner. I appreciate your help, as always, for pointing out the proper rules and agreeing with the confirmation I won. 🙂

February 27, 2018 at 11:13 AM

You know that when we started the game, no one could quite remember the exact rules. We made a decision together that the person with the highest score was the loser. Telling the truth is very important J. But, if you can live with yourself…

February 27, 2018 at 11:16 AM

I always tell the truth. Based on the scores on that image we posted, by the rules of the game, I was the winner. 🙂

And… don’t you miss me already!?!??!?

February 27, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Keywords, “by the rules of the game “! We did not play by the rules of the game. Therefore, you were crushed! (And yes, maybe I miss you a little! 🙄)

February 27, 2018 at 11:09 AM

Great quote!

February 27, 2018 at 11:10 AM

And by the way, the first thought I had was that you were talking about the Uno game from yesterday’s post – LOL.

February 27, 2018 at 11:15 AM

Ha! It seems Roda did, too. 😛

February 27, 2018 at 12:17 PM

He was, subconsciously! His guilt is getting the best of him!

February 27, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Yes, you are right. Always! 🙂

February 27, 2018 at 12:44 PM

No comment…

Viola Bleu said:
    February 27, 2018 at 11:42 AM

Really liked this Jay .. and really relate to your message. I think having daily mini goals is more than kinda cool. Its given me an idea for myself right now. Baby steps to reach the ultimate goal (a finished manuscript) should be enjoyable and taking the guilt away from the occasional uncompleted goal is healthy (is uncompleted even a word??)

February 27, 2018 at 11:55 AM

Hmmm… let’s decide it doesn’t matter if it was real… it’s a real word now! I’m so glad. And yes, baby steps help build the confidence and focus to reach the goal. It sneaks up on you!

The Cozy Pages said:
    February 27, 2018 at 12:01 PM

Short and to the point.
    Thanks for this reminder. 🙂

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    February 27, 2018 at 1:19 PM

God did I need this today. Thank you Jay.😙

Kristin said:
    February 28, 2018 at 1:30 AM

Definitely needed the reminder ❤️

Lisa@LismorePaperCo. said:
    February 28, 2018 at 5:54 PM

I love this message! I think everyone at some point needs this reminder. Thank you, Jay! 💟🌞

February 28, 2018 at 6:25 PM

You are very welcome. 🙂 Some days I come up with a good post! Lol

March 10, 2018 at 3:17 PM

A simple message, but a helpful one. I copied the quote in my quote book. TY

March 10, 2018 at 3:33 PM

I want to see that one day!

March 10, 2018 at 4:10 PM

I am ready to start volume two, but so far (checked Hallmark and Barnes and Noble) I haven’t found one as good as my old one. I want a little one with spiral bound so I can rip out when I mess up. The first was a gift, and it was intended as a prayer journal type thingy. I used it as a quote notebook. I will find one soon. In the meantime I am keeping my quotes in a notebook a kid left in class. I will copy them over when I find just the right book.

March 11, 2018 at 8:37 AM

You might have to design and order one online!