365 Challenge: Day 355 – Pedestal

Pedestal: a position in which someone is greatly or uncritically admired, but can also be the structure that will always hold you up

As I write this post, I’m focused on accepting that after today, there are only 10 of these left in my 365 Daily Challenge. Choosing words is important, as I want to make a powerful impact on anyone reading them, or on myself years in the future when I look back on my accomplishments. I’ve chosen pedestal today because it’s important that we never put ourselves (or someone else) on one without having the tools to collect and reassemble the pieces when we (or someone else) fall(s) off it. Because it will happen, and there is no shame in it. Life is a series of ups and downs. Sometimes, we’re high above the clouds. Others, we’re stuck in the fog. At the center of it all, there is a support structure surrounding each of us, and it’s our responsibility to tend to this foundation each and every day. We must create the safety net before we let anyone (or ourselves) get too high. {Aside: This is not a metaphor about drugs, by the way!}

Today I sent my second novel to the editor for her final read-through. At varying points in the day, I thought to myself: (1) This is truly a remarkable piece of work — way better than my first novel by miles, (2) You are not ready to submit this to the publisher — there are basic flaws and disconnects and you suck as a writer, (3) Sleep needs to happen soon or you won’t find all the issues — nor will you embed the little nuggets of wisdom and charm you work so hard to deliver in your words…

I put myself on the pedestal several times, then knocked myself off to keep everything in balance across the entirety of who I am.  When I fell a few times, I was not only prepared, but I didn’t fall to pieces — because I don’t ever let myself get too high on the pedestal without realizing there are many others already there. My five (5) thoughts on how to manage your own pedestals:

1. It is important to create a pedestal so you can tell yourself how proud you are when you accomplishment a great feat. Let yourself glow for a few minutes, but then step down off the pedestal so someone else can have a turn, too.
  2. The air at the top is often hard to breathe, they say. I’m not sure who they are, but I never want to reach the top of my pedestal because it means I’m either done or I’ve over-shot the mark. I want to keep on climbing and growing, but also be available to those who need a help stepping up from time to time. I often need the help to step up on the pedestal, too.
  3. More than one can stand on the pedestal at the same time. Life is not a competition like the Olympics. On my pedestal, I have room for everyone who works hard and does their best. I put people there for different reasons at different times in my life or their lives. It’s never fixed, always fluid.
  4. Be prepared for others to try to knock you off the pedestal. Not everyone plays by the same rules, and when that happens, it’s okay to dust yourself off and get back up again. Sometimes a mistake or blame happens, but what counts is how you respond when you’ve done something wrong.
  5. Your pedestal can change. It may be stone one day and wood the next. It could crumble under pressure or stabilize with strength. First build the foundation so you are capable of always knowing where to find the pedestal again.

My words today have lots of meaning, some clear and some as a mixture of metaphors. They may also seem cheesy… sometimes, that’s who I am. But most of all… the pedestal I’m referring to here is different to each of us. And that’s why we all put people on them for unexpected reasons and unusual purposes.

51 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 355 – Pedestal

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    March 7, 2018 at 12:56 AM

Great points! I specifically loved your thoughts in 3,4, and 5th point. 🙂

cindy knoke said:
    March 7, 2018 at 1:35 AM

The pedestal actually props one up, when one can actually fly, better, independently, far from the base.
    You are already doing this.

March 7, 2018 at 7:02 AM

Thank you. That is very kind. I like the addition of independence.

samfiftysomething said:
    March 7, 2018 at 2:42 AM

Love this. So very interesting 😊

Kiersten said:
    March 7, 2018 at 6:33 AM

This is a great post. Thank you for sharing, oh wise one.

Seriously, I love the advice you offer here. It’s all about balance. So many of us struggle with that. (I know I do anyway.) Congrats on getting the second book submitted! You should celebrate, even if it’s in the most humble of ways. You deserve it.

March 7, 2018 at 7:07 AM

Thank you. I reread this post when I woke up fifteen minutes ago. It actually helped brighten the day seeing such a great comments. 🙂

LA said:
    March 7, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Great post. Though really. I’m always atop the pedestal….

You always offer great advice Jay.🤗

Martie said:
    March 7, 2018 at 8:36 AM

Tomorrow makes single digits Wow! Party? .

March 7, 2018 at 8:37 AM

Ha! I just wrote out tomorrow’s post… and there might be a little hint about that coming up! LOL

The Cozy Pages said:
    March 7, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Advice worth heeding. I especially like number 1 🙂

Stephanie said:
    March 7, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Wonderful advice! Love it 😊

theloyalbritwit said:
    March 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM

One of my new favorites of your posts, Jay! Motivational yet introspective and good points. 😄

March 7, 2018 at 12:15 PM

I love this post. I think #1 is important to remember. It is okay to make your own pedestal to use for a short while. So many times we don’t give ourselves enough credit for our accomplishments (or maybe that’s a woman thing). I can say “Hey look I made some really great cards” and then step off so you can say “Hey, I wrote a really great book.” We can appreciate our own work. It leads to self-confidence to tackle the next project. Nicely done!

March 7, 2018 at 12:16 PM

I’m so glad we’re on the same page. Thank you. I have only one card left too. Will be ordering more later this month.

March 7, 2018 at 12:17 PM

So glad you found a use for them! Thanks.

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    March 7, 2018 at 1:37 PM

It’s definitely dangerous to put yourself (or others) up on that pedestal… we all heard what happened to Humpty Dumpty. There’s no putting those pieces together again!

Book Club Mom said:
    March 7, 2018 at 2:21 PM

Yes, the ups and downs are normal – and it’s always good to be humble. Success would be meaningless if it happened all the time!

March 7, 2018 at 2:33 PM

March 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Great advice as always Jay!!

Beware Of The Reader said:
    March 7, 2018 at 3:38 PM

So basically a pat on the back and then a little slap in the face? It seems like a roller coaster Jay LOL. But yest I get what you mean. We have to be proud of what we do but at the same time realistic enough to know we are not the only ones and that’s fine. I’m not a competitive person or at least I am with myself (I try to do as good as I can) but never with others. I’ll never crush someone that’s not just me. Rather I would recognise his genius and help him. Thank you for making me think once more and good luck with the editing!

March 7, 2018 at 9:11 PM

Exactly! No wonder I like you so much! THanks for sharing. On my way home after major storms stranded me at my parents for a few hours with no train service.

Kip Walkin said:
    March 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM

Hey Jay, I particularly like #2. It’s important not to get too high on the pedestal (and of course I ain’t talking drugs😉). I also think the air is a squeeze high up there, especially when you have nowhere else to go, or nothing else to achieve. I believe in making room for progressiveness, while lending a helping hand every now and then to those who also want to climb.

Great post as always. I learnt a few. Congrats also on your second novel going to the editor. Obviously, you have worked so hard on it.👍

carhicks said:
    March 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM

If more people thought of pedestals as temporary and to be shared, we would have much happier people who would not be afraid to reach for the stars. Great post.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    March 13, 2018 at 6:16 PM

Love this post! This is so important! You have to create that space to put yourself on a pedestal, even if it is a small one! And there will always be someone trying to knock you off, but you gotta pick yourself back up and get back up there! You should definitely have a place on that pedestal for all you have accomplished! ❤ I am trying to remember this on my journey to better health and weight loss.

March 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM

I believe in you. If I can help at all on your journey, let me know. It is always helpful to know you have support. And you do!!! Xoxo. Thank you for this great comment and compliment.