365 Challenge: Day 362 – Installment

Installment: new series on my blog with a story where several parts could be published or made public in sequence at intervals

Installment.jpg

In our countdown, we have four 365 Daily Challenge posts left… and today’s word is installment. As you’ve probably guessed, I love a good challenge and often over commit myself to tasks on my to-do list. It should go with no surprise that I will want something to push my envelope (eh, buttons?) and force me to write a specific post at regular intervals just like I’ve done in this challenge. And so… I’m strongly considering releasing a regular web serial where I can highlight my creative writing to share with existing readers and help find new ones. A few things come to mind:

• Should it be weekly, every other week, or monthly? My primary concern is that if I’m writing part of a story each week, I really can’t go back to change anything from prior installments… I’d need to have several months planned in advance (which I don’t have fully written at the moment), so this is a work-in-progress theory right now.
  • It will be a mystery novel… cozy but not too cozy… somewhere in the middle to appeal to a wide audience. I have 30% of two separate books drafted and plan to re-read what I’ve written next week before deciding which to focus on. The first is set on a college campus, the second is about a large family of cousins who get into lots of fun trouble. Both deal with murder mysteries, but they’re also about relationships and the more relaxed and fun side of life.
  • Is there really interest for this? I wouldn’t want to publish it in installments if readers aren’t fans of waiting each week to see what happens. I also would need to figure out how to protect my copyright and/or not have something stolen. Thoughts?

Part of the reason for this is to keep my “on the fly” writing skills current, as well as feel that giant push to write even if I feel like being lazy. I can see building a setting, cast and story online via my blog for the first book, then launching into a full series with printed and e-books to evolve the entire story. I have lots of thinking to do in the next two weeks… anyone interested in being part of the process, either writing, beta reading, promoting? Just thinking outside the box!

44 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 362 – Installment

March 14, 2018 at 1:10 AM

I feel like a month is too long between installments. I don’t know if I can remember that long. I’d be glad to promote your story on my blog. Some of the bloggers I’ve followed through my A to Z Challenge have written stories going through the alphabet and they have been pretty fun to read.

March 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM

Thank you! I believe you’re right. A month is a lot. I will take you up on that in the future.

LA said:
    March 14, 2018 at 8:21 AM

I like the idea of a serial pics, but I think it has to be quicker rather than farther apart- just based on common reading habits. You need a consistent audience vested in the subject, but if it’s spread too far out people will forget what has happened before.I agree with the problem of not being able to rewrite if it doesn’t make sense, especially with a mystery, because they have to be clearly outlined. The copyright issue is the same one we always face when writing day to day.

The Cozy Pages said:
    March 14, 2018 at 8:29 AM

Yes yes yes. Sounds good. I think two weeks might be a good option. Enough time for you to be happy with what you’re producing and not too far apart that readers forget. Not sure about copyright issues… although I’m sure you have readers here who can give you some advice.
    Will definitely be interested in “being part of the process”.

tylerus said:
    March 14, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Monthly installments are definitely too long in between. (I do weekly installments for “Odd Woman Out”. It keeps me committed/focused–can’t make [viable] excuses.) Biweekly would work, but there’s something about HAVING to get something done in a short(er) span of time. Yes, there’s less time for thinking/creating and editing, but you do like challenges, my friend, so you may want to aim for weekly. 🙂 Whatever you decide, you’ll do/be fine, I have no doubt.

March 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM

I think you have the right plan, and your segment does have a good balance! I appreciate the kind words… a few days left to figure it out!

Martie said:
    March 14, 2018 at 9:23 AM

You must never sleep.

March 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM

I do! 🙂

Martie said:
        March 14, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Jay, my son, age 32, just finished a novel he has been working on for about two years. It is mixed in genre but leans towards mystical realism. Do you have any tips for him on getting his novel published?

March 14, 2018 at 2:30 PM

Sure… I am closing tomorrow on the final edits for my second book. Let me know where to best start a dialogue… I’m at jamesjcudney4@gmail.com. Once I finish in the next couple of days, I will be happy to share ideas to help him.

Martie said:
        March 15, 2018 at 5:55 PM

Thanks.

Martie said:
        March 18, 2018 at 6:45 PM

Well like a smart son he is sending out to publishers without his mom’s help. LOL But thanks anyway.

March 18, 2018 at 6:46 PM

I’m here if you need anything. Will offer any advice I can. Ah kids!

Martie said:
        March 18, 2018 at 6:47 PM

big smile on my face…my son really is such a sweetie and you are too

March 18, 2018 at 6:48 PM

Thank you. Good luck to him, too.

Cammie Adams said:
    March 14, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Personally, I kinda like the idea of finding out what you can do as a pantser. You obviously excel when meticulously planning. What happens when you can’t?
    And I agree with the suggested two week interval.

March 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM

Most agree with 2 weeks, so I think that will be it… and you are funny! I wonder how it will go! You’ve seen early first drafts – those are never ready! 🙂

Cammie Adams said:
        March 14, 2018 at 1:05 PM

Now, no one said you had to post your rough drafts. You just can’t go back to previous installments to make things fit into neat little boxes. Different things, entirely.
        It’s more of a challenge that way, right?

March 14, 2018 at 1:38 PM

yes! you’ll have to keep me honest then! 🙂 No update dates. lol

March 14, 2018 at 12:58 PM

I agree with everyone that a month is too long to wait because for me personally if it’s not dress in my mind I will completely forget everything. Also you know I am always up to help you in whatever way I possibly can. I’m looking forward to what’s to come.

March 14, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Thank you so much! I can’t wait til my break next week when the book is done and the blog is done… and I can interact more!

March 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM

Yeah you could definitely use a break to rest and recuperate. I honestly don’t know how you do it all it seems like you are always going non stop.

March 14, 2018 at 1:38 PM

I get a few breaks here and there! 🙂

March 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Yeah I guess you do with your vacations but you’re still posting that it doesn’t seem like you’ve been able to relax. 😊

March 14, 2018 at 1:47 PM

True. Next week there will be days I miss. Probably even this Sunday as the first day Post 365. Also my bday.

March 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM

I will miss seeing you in my feed but you deserve some days off.

March 14, 2018 at 1:51 PM

Thank you! I just wrote tomorrow’s and Friday’s posts. I only have Saturday’s to write, but that will be tomorrow’s task.

March 14, 2018 at 1:55 PM

I need to work on today’s post lol.

kdefranc said:
    March 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Hi James,

I. myself hate short stories! I like novellas that have the same interesting and suspenseful feeling as a longer book, with a good ending. But I never read short excerpts of books, not even when I finish one and the chapter from the next one finishes the book. Never read it! I liked ‘The Green Mile’, because each excerpt felt like a complete story but a longer one was in the making.

So, just my thoughts on putting parts of a story online. Have a wonderful Wednesday,

Kathi Defranc

________________________________

March 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Hi. I appreciate your input. I worry about that, too. I don’t read the first chapter of a next book either if it’s in the one I’m reading. I’m looking at this as an opportunity to perhaps entice new followers or fans… if they like the installment, they might look to previously published books.

I’m not a short story guy either. I read them from time to time, but it isn’t my go to genre or style.

Thanks for stopping by!

j

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    March 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM

This is such a cool idea! I’m doing something like this on my blog, but I’m only posting one installment a month! It’s a lot of fun to do!

March 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

It’s fun! I have to go back and read yours in order. I think I’ve only caught a few along the way.

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    March 14, 2018 at 4:52 PM

Awesome idea and definitely a nice creative challenge. Hopefully it’ll work out perfectly and you’ll have fun doing it! 😀

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    March 14, 2018 at 6:01 PM

Definitely interested in this! Sounds like a fun idea to do! I get what people mean about a month being a bit of a long time. I’ve seen people use things like licensing and copyright on their blog, but I don’t know much about it I’m afraid!

Stephanie said:
    March 14, 2018 at 7:05 PM

I love the idea! I do agree with those who’ve said a month is too long; I’d think biweekly would be a good place to start. The copyright and licensing is not something I have any idea about, sorry! Once May is here, I’d be happy to help you if I can..beta reading, etc! Sounds like fun!

dtills said:
    March 14, 2018 at 10:11 PM

I would love to read these! But I worry about you and your stress level with keeping up if the schedule is too tight! I hope that you do post installments but please allow yourself to change the schedule if it becomes a burden, or if you find that it is not helping your overall writing goals. We all want you to be sane and happy at the end of the day my friend💕

Candace Peterson said:
    March 14, 2018 at 11:34 PM

Jay, I believe weekly or biweekly installments will do nicely. I’ll be interested to learn which story you chose. Both sound good. 🙂 Happy Birthday!

March 15, 2018 at 8:35 AM

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I am leaning towards the every other week option right now… but will take March to think thru it.

carhicks said:
    March 17, 2018 at 7:46 AM

It seems most people are in agreement with every other week as am I. You are so ambitious, make sure you do not overdo it. Having to make a change to the schedule once in a while is okay, it happens in life.