Goodreads LISTS: Have you added books?

With so many book sites available, it’s hard to know which ones to consider using or supporting. As part of May, I’m going to share my profile and the websites I use for both (1) choosing / reading new books and (2) advertising my own books. I’m certain all of you are familiar with and/or use Goodreads, so I don’t need to explain much about it; however, there is a Goodreads tool that I would like to discuss with everyone: LISTOPIA.

lists.png

Under the BROWSE menu item is a dropdown for LISTS where you can search various user-voted books to see what is recommended for various categories like ‘Best Family Values Books’ or ‘Top Page-Turners.” Lists can be created by different users and can be as generic or specific as you like. The Goodreads Librarians will merge them if they feel two lists are similar, and authors can’t vote or add their own book to a list. I like that there are some rules around them. Let’s talk about the value of these lists:

If you are in a certain mood and want to search for a list on a topic such as “books to make you cry” or “books with a main character who has Asperger’s Syndrome,” there’s probably an available list with at least one hundred books on it. Reader’s frequently check here to find a book that maybe they’d never previously heard of or thought about. Goodreads members can either (1) create a list or (2) add a book to an existing list. You can add multiple books to the same list and choose the order for them, too. As the votes tally up, the book moves up the list to the coveted Top 10 spots.

If the list is existing, and the book is already there, you click on the VOTE button:

If the book is not on the list, you can add from the next tab:

add.png

Once the book is on the list, if you have more than 1, you can determine the order on the right side:

order.png

And if you want to check on what you’ve added or voted for, look in the upper right section… I’ve added my friends (Candace and Misty) to the list and will be working on adding others in the next week.

mine.png

If you are a Goodreaders user, I’d love to get my books added to a few lists. I’ve noted a few below, but feel free to choose others, too. Thank you in advance for helping out!

***

Goodreads List to add FATHER FIGURE

Best_Books_About_Family_Relationships

Best_books_of_2018

Indie_Authors_to_Watch

Best_Female_Lead_Characters

Multiple_Dual_story_lines

***

Goodreads List to add WATCHING GLASS SHATTER

Family_Saga

Best_Books_About_Family_Relationships

Books_That_Touched_My_Heart

Best_Family_Sagas

Best_Siblings_Book

Note: Authors, let me know if you’d like me to add your books to any Goodreads lists. You can leave a comment here or private message me on Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc.

37 thoughts on “Goodreads LISTS: Have you added books?

HarmonixChiq said:
    May 4, 2018 at 11:00 AM

I’ve been on Goodreads for years, but never knew you could do all this lol as usual, it seems I’m behind. Thanks for the tips and I’m gonna check out your book suggestions!

May 4, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Hi. Great to hear from you. Glad to help! I’m hoping to share all the stuff I’ve been learning in the last few months. 🙂 Have a great weekend.

HarmonixChiq said:
    May 4, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Also, I had no idea you had books of your own and I will certainly be checking those out, as well!

May 4, 2018 at 11:02 AM

Wow, thank you very much. One was on sale yesterday for .99, but it ended at midnight. From 5/6 thru 5/10, my current release, Father Figure, will be a FREE download. I’ll post soon about it. 🙂

HarmonixChiq said:
        May 4, 2018 at 11:05 AM

I will be looking for that! Thank you!

Berit&V@Audio Killed the Bookmark said:
    May 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM

Another use for these lists is booked challenges!

My blog partner and I also mod a group on Goodreads it is a pretty popular and very active challenge group and we will have tasks such as read a book off a specific list, this is really the only time I use these lists to be completely honest, and I am super active on Goodreads!
    Berit 💛

May 4, 2018 at 11:44 AM

That’s a great add — for challenges, Thanks for throwing it out there!

May 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for reminding me about this. I can use it to find books to fit into my Reading Challenge categories! I’m adding Watching Glass Shatter to all of your suggestions AND to the list “Books that should be made into movies.” I’d love to see a movie of the Glass Family – Helen Mirren as Olivia?

May 4, 2018 at 11:44 AM

Thank you! She should be a great choice. And I do love her… I’m doing everything I can to make this happen. 🙂

Aj @ Read All The Things! said:
    May 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM

The lists were SO helpful when I was in graduate school. If I was writing a paper on a topic, I would go on Goodreads and see if there were lists of books about the topic. A lot of times, there were. It saved me from having to Google for hours and create my own reading lists.

tahenryauthoress said:
    May 4, 2018 at 12:09 PM

I am not nearly active enough on goodreads. I will now though. What great ideas.

Bentley ★ BookBastion.net said:
    May 4, 2018 at 1:36 PM

I look at lists a lot – especially for New Release titles to know what to request for ARCs. That being said, I’ve never created my own before. Now I know how! Thanks Jay!

I’m working on voting Jay.

May 4, 2018 at 2:05 PM

You do so much for me, no pressure! I’m also just trying to spread news on how to use the tools. I appreciate it tho! 🙂

Stephanie said:
    May 4, 2018 at 2:26 PM

Love those lists! Like someone mentioned above, they were great when I was in school and constantly writing essays. I used it to find books for my dissertation too…great list of gothic books on there! I’m a by the list person, so I love the tool!! I used it to find most of the books I’m reading for this year’s PopSugar reading challenge…whew, it saved me a ton of time looking for books to meet the 50 prompts! I’ll check out your lists this weekend 😊

May 4, 2018 at 2:31 PM

Thank you. They do come in handy. I saw the list for gothic, too. I wondered if you had voted on them. LOL

Stephanie said:
        May 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM

Ha! Funny you thought of me 😊I’ve spent hours staring at those gothic lists when I was doing research, lol. They definitely are helpful.

The Cozy Pages said:
    May 4, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Good idea. Will look into that for sure! And will add those show books to the lists. 🙂

May 4, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Thank you! 🙂

How’s the day looking? Glad it’s Friday?? Hopefully you’ve got something fun planned for the weekend.

The Cozy Pages said:
        May 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM

I’ve got work planned. Lol. The seven year old’s birthday party is on Sunday afternoon. I can’t wait for Sunday night! 😄

May 4, 2018 at 2:39 PM

Oh no, poor you! Run… if you need an escape, I have a free apartment for a few weeks this month. LOL

The Cozy Pages said:
        May 4, 2018 at 3:06 PM

Don’t tempt me….. Lol

Martie said:
    May 4, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Thanks for tip Jay.

bettylouise31 said:
    May 4, 2018 at 3:30 PM

I use Goodreads to keep track of my books but I know There are mistakes and my effort to correct has not been successful. I often have read for book and I have read only once. I also find helpful to check out authors an d their book. Pull a book and click on the name and it show you how many that author wrItten and they lost the order in the series. I write my reviews on it has it as a spell checked built end. I do use another Grammy before I sent the review to where it belongs

moorezart said:
    May 4, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

robbiesinspiration said:
    May 5, 2018 at 1:24 PM

Great to know about this, Jay. I will have a look at it tomorrow.

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    May 5, 2018 at 6:23 PM

This is such a great feature! Thanks for sharing! I’m definitely going to be looking into it!

Dani☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆ said:
    May 7, 2018 at 12:34 AM

I have too many books on all my lists. These tips are fantastic and very useful!!!💜 Thanks so much for sharing this with us!💙💖