Introductions: Meet Puppy ‘Baxter’

As many of you know, I lost my shiba inu, Ryder, earlier this year. It was unexpected and heartbreaking, and I have many moments still today where my eyes tear up or I feel a melancholy about everything he missed out on. He was only ten and had such energy and love, but he was too sick to stay strong and we had to let him go. W and I had always talked about adopting another dog, but Ryder was very much an only-child and preferred to be with just us. We didn’t want to make his days more difficult, so we postponed bringing another puppy into the house.

35114683_10215405579627875_2009943148616220672_n

Around March, we started discussing the best timing for adopting another dog, as we both missed having that lovable pet to play with at night or on the weekend. And perhaps with W and I suddenly by ourselves, we thought… hmmm… can we really only talk to ourselves and each other now at night? Ryder had been such a big piece of our lives together, we found ourselves with more free time and less conversations. The void needed to be filled but we knew it would take a while to find the right one. We love the breed and looked at a few rescue shelters, puppy stores, and breeders from the AKC website. It could take 9 to 12 months for the breeder to produce a puppy and reach us on the list.  We had some specific requirements as we wanted to get a different color than Ryder so the memory wasn’t too obvious. Ryder had a red coat, so we searched primarily for a red coat female or a black and tan male. I’ve had a cream colored before, and the red sesame is adorable but hard to come by.

34798926_10215405579267866_5907580516097327104_n

We registered online with a few lists. I went to a few puppy stores and found one the day before our 3-week vacation. Timing is everything, huh? I couldn’t get him, but I also didn’t want to let him go. My mom (she’s awesome) volunteered to keep him for the three weeks, but we knew the puppy would develop an attachment to her (or vice versa?) and we might never bond the same way with him, so we said thank you, but we shouldn’t. We’ll wait to see if he’s still there when we return from Italy. The day before we returned, the little rugrat was adopted… it wasn’t meant to be. We arrived home the next day, unpacked, took a nap, picked up some groceries and did laundry. By late afternoon, we’d received an email saying we were now third on a list for a black and tan puppy from Kansas — so much sooner than we’d expected. It was too hot to ship him to the location of the person who was first on the list, so the breeder was letting us know that if the second person said ‘no’ that he was ours. An hour later, we had an email that the second person preferred a female, so we were faced with the choice: Are we ready?

34840887_10215405579027860_522310577729568768_n

We talked about it a bit and timing really is everything… It’s summer, we aren’t going anywhere for a few months, and I haven’t completely dived into writing my next book, so I’d have some free time. His pictures were adorable. We needed something to shake up our return from Italy (pictures and stories to come next week — this news took priority) as who wants to come back to normal life after such amazing vacation? So… we said yes, made the arrangements, and the little pup arrived in NYC on Thursday afternoon. He was born on March 16th, which is right in the middle of W’s and my birthdays. The other very coincidental connection is the timing on his birth. Shiba puppies are usually born about 60 days after they are conceived. Ryder passed away 60 days before this little one was born. I like to think maybe a little bit of Ryder’s spirit was passed into the new addition, so we have a bit of a connection already.

yhij

We’ve had him for 48 hours so far and he is every bit of a puppy. He’s voracious about biting things, way more than any other dog or puppy I’ve had in the past. I’ve threatened war with him many times. He’s successfully ripped off my glasses both mornings, torn a toy into pieces, pulled my shorts down while I was walking from one room to the other, and decided the couch legs are evil and must be sawed off with his teeth. Let’s not even discuss the corners of the carpet or any electrical cords. I’ve pulled up everything I can to keep him away, but there are a few we can’t unplug… he is my shadow or W’s shadow 24/7. We were lucky and he slept 7 hours straight the first night. Last night, he only made it 4 hours before getting restless in his crate. I might be too old to sleep on a floor again. It’s a work in progress yet one we already love!

34686246_10215405579307867_3175760554522312704_n

More pictures to come, but I wanted to share a little bit of my news since returning from vacation and finishing up this week’s blog tour for Father Figure. Meet the new puppy: Baxter! I’m sure he’ll be all over the place on the blog in the coming months, but for now, he says hello and that he plans to torture us in these first few weeks.

131 thoughts on “Introductions: Meet Puppy ‘Baxter’

kathyscottage said:
    June 10, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Baxter is adorable! I’m gushing. 🙂

theloyalbritwit said:
    June 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM

Hello Baxter!!! What an adorable new friend! 🙂

kdefranc said:
    June 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM

Hi James,

Your new boy, Baxter, is adorable!! He looks like a very mischievous little fella and I am sure he will keep you both on your toes for quite some time! Wishing the three of you a magical summer!

Kathi Defranc

________________________________

June 10, 2018 at 9:21 AM

Thank you, Kathi. He is definitely going to be mischievous… I can see it already! 🙂 Happy Summer to you, too.

Heidi M. Simone said:
    June 10, 2018 at 8:00 AM

Oh my gosh! He is sooo adorable!! Congratulations on the new pups! I’m sure Baxter will have such a wonderful, loving home. 😀

June 10, 2018 at 9:23 AM

Thank you, Heidi. He’s very happy so far. And adorable is right. I hope he stays that way. I also need to get some adult time soon and read and chat with my online friends. He’s been a 24/7 focus the last few days. I’m desperate to read! LOL

Heidi M. Simone said:
        June 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM

No worries! Ryder was also cute, so I’m sure Baxter will stay adorable for a long time! Yes, I can imagine how much time he’s taking. Puppies do have a lot of energy, but someday you’ll be able to read more normally! Maybe run him around for a while and hope that he poops out, so you can read! 😀

June 10, 2018 at 10:03 AM

True. Phew, he’s running me around and still has energy. Although after 2 hours this morning already, he finally settled in for a nap about 20 minutes ago and is resting. 🙂

Heidi M. Simone said:
        June 10, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Aww…little Baxter! I’m glad he was able to tucker himself out enough to rest (at least for a little while, lol). 🙂

Never Not Reading said:
    June 10, 2018 at 8:02 AM

What a cutie! Congratulations on your new little guy.

June 10, 2018 at 9:23 AM

Thank you so much! He’s a happy camper right now… played for 2 hours this morning and now resting before the dreaded vet check-up!

June 10, 2018 at 8:22 AM

Such a good boy! 💚

misifusa said:
    June 10, 2018 at 8:25 AM

My eyes are teary remembering Ryder. My smile grows wider with tales of Baxter. Congratulations to you and W! I can’t wait to hear more about Baxter!! I love the coincidences between the dates as well…timing is everything…xoxo

June 10, 2018 at 9:24 AM

Hi! I know… it was really hard the first day. I called him Ryder a few times. It was bittersweet, I suppose. He’s got similar personality traits, but all shibas are like this. Yet he’s also showing some differences, too, but he’s only 12 weeks! LOL

misifusa said:
        June 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM

I can’t wait to watch his progression as he settles in and becomes fully Baxter with all of his own similar and unique traits! He’s adorable! I wish you and W. all the best with your new baby! xo

June 10, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Much appreciated. He’s definitely learning already and showing his stubborn intelligence!

misifusa said:
        June 10, 2018 at 11:04 AM

Woo hoo! I love it! 🙂

Judy Hudgins said:
    June 10, 2018 at 8:27 AM

We have a german shepherd puppy coming to us this weekend. Hopefully, she will work out to be a good service dog as my granddaughter is high functioning autistic and we are hoping to train her to be a companion dog, as well as being a family member.

June 10, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Wow! Congrats on the new addition coming your way. I can’t wait to hear about her and see how it goes… I think it will be wonderful for your granddaughter. Animals cam have such a positive impact on people and help them overcome small things to make the day better. 🙂

Mel Gutiér said:
    June 10, 2018 at 8:27 AM

This git me all teary eyed. 😢 Then I got a warm loving feeling. I’m so happy he found you guys! That is one lucky pup! I love how you recounted all of this. I love “meant to be”.

I can tell how much he loves you already! He sounds amazing. Oh man! I’m crying now! I loved Ryder. He was my favorite writer! And I do feel he is in Baxter. All the connections are there. I’m so happy for the three of you!

Thank you so much for sharing this! Quite special.

You get double hugs! 😘

June 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Hello! Thank you. 🙂 Some day I’ll get to have an adult conversation again soon with you. All puppies and guest in jest fun right now! LOL

I wanted to start Baxter off the right way with a good intro story. 🙂

xoxo

Mel Gutiér said:
        June 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM

It was perfect! Touching and made me remember my Sister, my blue butterfly. She raised three puppies into adulthood. She loved animals.

Hugs buddy!

June 10, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Aww, good memories!

Angela said:
    June 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM

What an adorable addition! He looks like trouble on 4 legs, and I know you two will love every minute of it 🙂 !!!

June 10, 2018 at 9:27 AM

Thank you so much. We are very happy right now… even with all the teething and biting. LOL 🙂

susandyer1962 said:
    June 10, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Awww Baxter is soooo cute!!💖💖Can’t wait to get to know him better! Congratulations Jay and W!!

June 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Thanks, Susan. Ah, soon, he will have a presence online, I’m sure. For now, it’s all the basics to get him situated. I can’t even get time to read without chasing the pup around or stopping and redirecting the playful biting. But it’s fun and it will balance out soon. 🙂

Aj @ Read All The Things! said:
    June 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM

Congratulations! He’s so cute!

Mary Deal said:
    June 10, 2018 at 9:18 AM

Nothing like a new additional to the household to push away the post-vacation blues. What a cutie he is. Am sure he will settle down but I don’t envy you the next few months of acclimating him. Do you put your pets through obedience classes?

June 10, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Exactly, a good way to settle in, so true.

I know, between training and correcting behaviors, oh my. It’s only been close to 3 days but I’m wiped out. He’s actually sleeping well overnight and learning his potty breaks well. I might have an easier time in those areas, but he’s very nippy and teething a lot.

I will be putting him into some obedience class… I want to get him thru his vaccinations in the next 2 weeks and figure out what the best options are. There’s a few local ones that are cheaper, but then the better one is probably the expensive one, so I have to figure it out!

Mary Deal said:
        June 10, 2018 at 9:35 AM

Raising a pet is nearly the same as raising a child. That is, some children could use obedience school too. Hey friend, love your Argyles!

June 10, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Ha! Yes, so true. A theme in the photos with the socks and toys.

tylerus said:
    June 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM

Baxter’s a beauty – congrats. I’m sure dads and “son” will have a blast growing together. Looking forward to more Baxter posts and pics! 🙂

June 10, 2018 at 9:48 AM

He’s very striking looking… a bit of a little bear in his face. 🙂

Carrie Rubin said:
    June 10, 2018 at 9:35 AM

What a cutie. Baxter is a lucky puppy to have found such a loving home!

Callum McLaughlin said:
    June 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM

So cute! 🐶

foodinbooks said:
    June 10, 2018 at 10:22 AM

He’s precious. Congratulations on the new addition to your family. I definitely think a little bit of your other dog’s spirit is in the new one. 🙂

Oh my goodness! What an adorable little guy! I’m so happy for you guys. I was laughing at him pulling down your shorts! I well remember those mischievous puppy days with Lacey! Welcome Baxter’s!🤗

bettylouise31 said:
    June 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM

It is always great to add member to your family. I am sure he will give many pleasures and memories.

June 10, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Hopefully he’ll let me read again soon. 🙂

bettylouise31 said:
        June 10, 2018 at 3:10 PM

🐕📓📑📚💕

June 10, 2018 at 3:15 PM

Adorable! You’re so good with the emojis! I can’t figure them out.

bettylouise31 said:
        June 10, 2018 at 4:34 PM

Nothing to figure out. They are at the bottom of my Kindle and I just touch. They go to the space the counter is at. More design are being added every so often.

June 10, 2018 at 4:55 PM

I have to figure that out. I use my iPad so might be why different.

bettylouise31 said:
        June 10, 2018 at 5:30 PM

I believe that different electronics gear will have different emojis

June 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM

Welcome home. Missed your posts and looking forward to seeing the pictures of your trip. Baxter is adorable. I love that name too.

June 10, 2018 at 2:37 PM

I am looking forward to being back. And catching up. I wonder what you’ve been up to in the last month!!!

Misty Mount said:
    June 10, 2018 at 11:35 AM

So adorable!!! I’m so happy for you!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Lashaan (Bookidote) said:
    June 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Baxter is an awesome name that soooo fits his personality somehow hahah What a beautiful little thing, and a stressful process for things to happen! Enjoy the company of your new family member, sir!

June 10, 2018 at 2:38 PM

Thank you, Friend. He’s been great today so maybe he’s settling in. I might never get to read again. Or catch up on other blogs. But soon I hope.

tahenryauthoress said:
    June 10, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Beautiful! There is nothing like a new member of the family to love.

Arachnid Weaver said:
    June 10, 2018 at 1:14 PM

He’s so adorable! He looks like a teddy bear.

Marjorie said:
    June 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Oh, my, what a handsome boy! My daughter and her family have two Shiba Inus and they are such wonderful dogs. My prayers and wishes for many, many happy years ahead with Baxter!

June 10, 2018 at 2:40 PM

Thank you so much. Such a great breed. Two at once! That shiba stubborn streak must be big in their household! 🙂

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    June 10, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Hi Baxter!! 😀 He’s so cute!

Paula Bardell-Hedley said:
    June 10, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Aww, how beautiful. I hope you have many years of affection and fun with Baxter.

The Cozy Pages said:
    June 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM

Welcome Baxter! All the best to you and W. He’s a darling. Good luck with training 😊

June 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM

Oh, I appreciate it. What time did you say I should ship him to you for training?

The Cozy Pages said:
        June 10, 2018 at 3:37 PM

Hahaha. I don’t miss those early puppy days. Lol. My little Yorkie ended up with his own pillow on the bed 🙈 My Grandma was not impressed when he moved in with her. 😄

June 10, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Aww… she was just jealous.

The Cozy Pages said:
        June 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM

Hahaha. Well he worked his way in there. Any night where it rained heavily he got a bedroom pass. 😄

Beware Of The Reader said:
    June 10, 2018 at 4:18 PM

WTH Jay? He pulled your shorts down??? OMG. I am laughing so hard right now 🙂 And thanks for the retweet!!!!

June 10, 2018 at 5:54 PM

He is so adorable! Looks just like the one my aunt has! Hahaha, I could tell he is rather rambunctious! But glad that the puppy and you two seem to be enjoying yourselves!

anne leueen said:
    June 10, 2018 at 8:10 PM

I am delighted to see this. He is absolutely wonderful. I think he will be quite a character. Congratulations to you and to W. Take naps when you can ,you will need lots of energy!

June 10, 2018 at 8:26 PM

Hi! I’ve missed your blog. I need to catch up this week post vacation and being out of the country for 3 weeks. How is a Biasini? How are you?

Thank you. He’s adjusting very well. 🙂

anne leueen said:
        June 10, 2018 at 8:29 PM

I’ve been away in England for two weeks. Just got back. So I have to catch up as well. Biasini has been in work with my coach while I’ve been away. He is very well. We ( my husband and I) had a great time in England. Our son lives in London, great to see him, and I got to do an interview with the person who grooms for Olympians Carl Hester and Charlotte Dujardin. And went to see the horses at the Royal Mews. A good time. Nice to see you are back too!

June 11, 2018 at 5:54 AM

What a great trip for you! We may have crossed paths bu was in London 5/14 thru 5/19.

Lelia T said:
    June 11, 2018 at 4:32 AM

OMG, just adorable 😉 😉

thegsandwich said:
    June 11, 2018 at 7:28 AM

What a cutie. Congratulations on your new baby dog.

Cozynookbks said:
    June 11, 2018 at 7:35 AM

OMG!! Baxter is the cutest puppy EVER! Congratulations!!😊

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
    June 11, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Welcome Baxter! Here’s to many happy years together!

Stephanie said:
    June 11, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Aww, this makes me happy and I’m sure he’s got a part of Ryder in him..it just seems he was meant to be for you all. He’s just adorable! I hope he brings you so much happiness and many years of love! He’s a lucky boy to have you and W for his dad’s. I’ve been talking about getting a puppy this summer while I have time to train one, etc, but my husband is opposed to the idea. I’m determined though as long as I think my 10 yr old lab will be ok with it, so I plan to start with fostering and see how it goes. I hope Baxter settles in well!! He sounds like my Onyx as a puppy, lol…very nippy and teething on everything including my hands and feet! It was wild, lol. Training definitely helped though.

June 11, 2018 at 1:22 PM

Thank you! It’s been an emotion-filled 4 days, but he’s adorable. We’re course-correcting the biting, but he is persistent. He’s found a good nyla bone today to keep focused on, but now he runs away with it when I get too close, so it’s a fine balance of learning who’s the boss and not to be aggressive. LOL

Aww… such a tough decision. You’ve been thru it before, so you know the pros and cons. Wow! Good luck, I can’t wait to see what you decide!!!

Ann Marie Bryant said:
    June 11, 2018 at 1:12 PM

Aww, this makes my heart happy! I have thought of you often since you lost your sweet furbaby! You and W. will have new memories with this little guy, and I believe you are right, for Ryder’s spirit has to live on through your chubby little guy. Timing is everything! Congrats Kiddo!

June 11, 2018 at 1:19 PM

Hi. I appreciate it. Thank you so much. It was bittersweet and a few times a day it’s still hard, but I’m spending so much time trying to adapt Baxter, it’s keeping my mind focused! 🙂

Ann Marie Bryant said:
        June 11, 2018 at 3:33 PM

As an animal lover, I understand. I have two mini Dachshund pups that I have have had for three years. Prior to my latest addition, I had a wolf hybrid mix. The sweetest gentlest dog I ever owned. He was a gift, and i did not believe he was a wolf until my daughter and I were kicked out 4-H! No wolfs allowed. Our neighborhood started having problems with someone poisoning dogs. While I was away for a weekend, Kimo was poisoned. I was devastated. I still miss my big baby! But I continue to remember all the sweet times. And No, unfortunately, they never got the villain who hit our area.

June 11, 2018 at 7:38 PM

Oh that makes me so angry. I’m sorry. 😦

I bet he was such a comfort while you had him.

Ann Marie Bryant said:
        June 11, 2018 at 8:30 PM

He was a comfort, and so much fun….
        And thank you.

mrsnnnlight said:
    June 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM

Awww! Baxter is so beautiful and I’m glad you took the next step. *hugs to you and W*

mainepaperpusher said:
    June 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM

He is adorable! You do realize that I am going to be highly amused by his puppy antics. After nearly two years of Walter’s shenanigans, it will be fun to see what Baxter gets up to. He could eat his way through the whole apartment and be forgiven, I bet. He’s too cute to punish! Congratulations on getting such a wonderful dog. I can’t wait for his posts!

June 11, 2018 at 4:09 PM

4 days down… he’s learning a few things quite well, but it’s so soon and he’s so young! 🙂 I’m sure he will b*tch about me… I’m leaving him alone for the first time today. yikes.

mainepaperpusher said:
        June 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Oh my! OH MY!!! I want a full detail of what you found when you got home. FULL disclosure. Walter can’t be the only crazy puppy out there!

June 12, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Haha! I will message you.

DaisyGal @ DG Book Blog said:
    June 11, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Aww…Baxter is SO cute Jay! =D

Candace Peterson said:
    June 11, 2018 at 3:28 PM

My goodness. What a sweetie pie! Congratulations on the new little fellow. Baxter is just so precious. Counting on him putting in his comments on you blog. Happy puppy days!

June 11, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Aww, thank you. He will, I’m certain. Needs a bit of time to adjust, but then he’ll be old enough to commandeer the laptop. LOL

carhicks said:
    June 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM

Congratulations on your new family member. He is absolutely adorable and I wish you all many happy days together. Looking forward to Baxter rants someday.

June 11, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Thank you. I’m sure he will soon… he’s already annoyed me for saying “no” or “uh uh” when he bites.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    June 11, 2018 at 7:32 PM

Baxter is adorable- and that’s a great name!!

Lisa@LismorePaperCo. said:
    June 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM

Jay, Baxter is gorgeous! Meant to be! Congratulations! 💞

June 11, 2018 at 10:06 PM

He’s so adorable! What a beautiful surprise to come home to after vacation. We have a new puppy in the house as well and the work is endless haha. So much fun though! I just love the name Baxter too. Congrats to both of you! ❤💖❤

June 12, 2018 at 6:23 AM

Thank you. A surprise so soon. We were thinking later summer. But he’s cute. W really wanted another shiba.

How’s all the pups doing? I don’t know how you do it with training and all the time to focus on them!!! I’m exhausted already. 🙂

June 12, 2018 at 9:21 AM

It must be meant to be! I believe it. 💖

All our pups are gone to homes now, except Munch. I’ll do an update soon. It’s just been crazy. 😁 It is exhausting but good to stay busy haha. I can’t wait to see Baxter as he grows. He’s just beautiful. 🐶

June 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Thank you! I actually mentioned your pups to W to see if he’d consider other breeds, but he’s stuck on shibas. I’m so glad you’re finding homes! 🙂

June 12, 2018 at 10:11 AM

Oh, I can see why he’s stuck on the breed! They’re so unique too!

We got lucky and all were gone within a week. Everyone is staying in touch too which is a godsend. Munch is staying with us, so the majority of the craziness is gone, sort of. Having four dogs is something I never expected, but here we are. Lol 😁

June 12, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Can’t wait to see the post update!!

Carrie said:
    June 12, 2018 at 12:26 AM

Such an adorable cutie! It really does sound like fate brought him to you both, congrats! 🙂

June 12, 2018 at 6:17 AM

Thank you. It was quite a possible connection. 🙂

Carrie said:
        June 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM

Be sure to share more pics, I’m a sucker for animals so love to see them. 🙂 And good luck with the training, puppies are definitely a lot of work.

June 13, 2018 at 6:33 AM

Most definitely. Thank you!

Carrie said:
        June 14, 2018 at 12:26 AM

You’re welcome!

lisarey1990 said:
    June 14, 2018 at 11:12 PM

I’m sorry to hear of your loss of Ryder. I lost my own little dog Cookie in 2010 and it’s a horrible thing to go through. They are really like part of the family.

Baxter’s adorable. 🙂

June 15, 2018 at 7:05 AM

Hi… thank you. It was a rough month. I am sorry you’ve had to go thru it, too.

Baxter’s doing well! 🙂

June 15, 2018 at 11:19 AM

I have fallen in love!!! (and you know I’m a CAT person!) What a little charmer. He was “meant to be.”

robbiesinspiration said:
    June 16, 2018 at 3:37 AM

I am very happy that you have adopted a lovely new puppy. He looks like a delightful little fellow.