Thank you to everyone for all their wonderful input into the proposed Children’s Books Readathon. Based on the majority, we will launch in August 2018, but I will have everything wrapped up to select the books and authors who will help promote in the next two weeks so you can read the books in July if August is a busier month for you. Details will be released in the coming days where you can vote to select which books or sign up to share special posts on your own children’s books if you’re an author. For now… I’ve setup a dedicated page you can bookmark to see updates or any posts I share in the near future. First set of guidelines and dates listed below!
Welcome to the Children’s Books Readathon held in August 2018. Join in the fun to read between 8 and 12 books in August 2018 and share your reviews with the group. Don’t worry about the count of books, as (1) you can read only the ones you want and (2) some are less than 25 pages! On this page are all the key posts and you can click on each link to see the overview, guidelines and reviews for the different weeks and winning books.
- VOTE in the POLL (July 1st thru 15th, 2018)
- Winning Books & Date to Read By
- Picture Books – 8/4 to 8/10
- Award Winners – 8/11 to 8/17
- Young Adult – 8/18 to 8/24
- Authors Who Blog – 8/25 to 8/31
- Participating Blogs & Reviews
- Dates above are Saturdays to kick off the start and reviews posted the following Friday
Please Note: All the details are being posted in early July, 2018… keep checking back regularly for more updates and details.
*** PRIOR POST DETAILS ***
Hi… So, I’m back from vacation and ready to plan the Children’s Books Readathon. Given that there’s less than 2 weeks before July is here, I’m wondering if August would be better to give us enough time to thoroughly plan the authors, books and posts. If you’re interested in participating, please leave some thoughts in the comments on this post regarding:
- Who wants to join?
- Do you prefer July or August?
- What children’s books and authors should we read?
- Are there any children’s book authors who want to host (Q&A, offer giveaway, discuss your books, etc.) 1 of the 4 weeks to help promote their works?
Let me know by Sunday, June 24th and we’ll see what we can get scheduled! Thanks.
What’s that saying… “Idle hands are the…” Never mind. I’m apparently not content unless I’m dreaming and planning content for the upcoming months. It’s not enough that I have two books I’m trying to market, still in the middle of the very successful and extraordinarily fun Agatha Christie Readathon, nor that I’ll be out of the country for three weeks and still trying to finalize the initial posts for all three new blog segments I’m launching, but I decided today that I want to host another Readathon. When I thought through something that might appeal to a wider variety of readers and bloggers, as well as help offer some marketing and promotional opportunities for fellow authors, I feel in love with the idea of holding a “Children’s Books Readathon” in July 2018.
If you’re unfamiliar with the Christie Readathon, follow the link from the first paragraph. A group of fans and Christie-newbies held a poll to pick four (4) Agatha Christie books, then we read one each week in April and post a review on the last day of the week. Two down, two remaining so far… everyone can comment and re-blog, but we wanted to share our love the Grande Dame. I’m thinking of hosting these Readathons quarterly, but I’ve pulled together some ideas for one focused around Children’s Books. Once upon a time, I went to school to become a teacher. I wanted to focus on middle school, and also majored in English, so I have read tons of children’s books. I also wrote tons of curriculum and pulled together lots of teacher lessons for reading in the elementary school courses. Some thoughts below on how we could make this shine:
- We read 2 or 3 children’s books each week. It may sound like a lot, but they are relatively short and we all need a break from lengthy tomes. This may help some of us reach our Goodreads 2018 Reading Challenge goals!
- We split the children’s books into 2 categories:
- A: Authors we read in the past that we’d like to share
- B: Current authors with blogs we follow to help with promotion
- We follow the same pattern with 6 days to read, 1 day to post.
- We ask the current authors to share a post on my blog that everyone can also re-blog to help market their books. Maybe the authors will have a GIVEAWAY, offer ARCs of something new coming out, or some other fun promotion to make this interactive.
These are just high-level ideas. Everyone could share posts on award winners, picture versus chapter books, ways to engage kids in reading. I’m open to everything that highlights children’s books and helps excite people to spread the word on our fellow bloggers and authors. Throw some suggestions out in the next two weeks. My goal is to wrap up a plan and get this scheduled and coordinated before I leave on vacation in mid-May. We’ll hold a poll and vote on which books to read and review just like before. Target would be in July 2018 to give everyone (authors and readers) ~2 months to plan, purchase, read and prepare.