July TBR

In the hopes I can control my all-too-frequent impulse purchases and agreements to read new books, I started a new monthly segment on my blog where I list all the books I will read in the upcoming month. I hope that having something written, where I can be held accountable, helps me keep from increasing the TBR until I clear off many books I already want to read. I am going to plan 8 books each month, which is in-line with my 2018 Goodreads challenge to read in total 104 books (two per week). I’m already up to 90 books read at the 6-month mark, so I think I’ll finish it in July if I read some extras. I also am almost through all the books I actually own or have downloaded, so I will be ready to start picking new books in August from my TBR that I don’t already have! That said, let’s dive into next month’s planned reads…

What am I planning to read in July 2018?   8 Books!

What did I read in June 2018?   18 Books!

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews… here’s the scoop: I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My novels, Watching Glass Shatter and Father Figure, can be purchased on Amazon as electronic copies or physical copies. I write A LOT. I read A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll find the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge – words and humor. You can also find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators. Follow my blog with Bloglovin.

63 thoughts on “July TBR

Book Club Mom said:
    June 29, 2018 at 7:32 AM

Happy reading – you’ll be busy!

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
    June 29, 2018 at 7:33 AM

Thanks James! Talk to you soon.

watchingthedaisies said:
    June 29, 2018 at 7:35 AM

Many thanks Jay. 🌼

The Cozy Pages said:
    June 29, 2018 at 8:11 AM

Wow. June was a busy reading month! I’m loving the variety you have in store for July. Enjoy!

aubreyleaman said:
    June 29, 2018 at 8:16 AM

I LOVED The Night Circus! Hope you do, too! 🙂

June 29, 2018 at 8:18 AM

I’m excited about it. It won the poll contest for letting my blog followers and friends choose 1 book a month for me to read. So that’s my July!

aubreyleaman said:
        June 29, 2018 at 8:28 AM

That’s such a cool idea! 🙂

June 29, 2018 at 8:30 AM

It’s been fun. I call it the Book Bucket List where I list 12 books I want to read but don’t have and let someone else pick 1 for me to buy/download and read.

aubreyleaman said:
        June 29, 2018 at 8:36 AM

That’s super fascinating to me! I wonder how people choose…based on what they’ve personally liked? Or what they think YOU’LL like? 🤔

June 29, 2018 at 8:50 AM

Good Point, I suppose both depending on who it is… next vote will be around 7/10 once I finish The Night Circus.

aubreyleaman said:
        June 29, 2018 at 9:59 AM

Awesome, good to know! I’ll keep my eye out for it. 🙂

Kip Walkin said:
    June 29, 2018 at 8:25 AM

Have fun reading, Jay. Can one recommend a book to you every now and then?

Do have a great weekend ahead!👍👍

June 29, 2018 at 8:29 AM

Hi. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend, too.

As for recommendations, absolutely. I should be caught up in August so I’m no longer months ahead with my selections. I have a few I want to get to this summer, but I’m open to suggestions if they are in my reading genres. Thanks.

Kip Walkin said:
        June 29, 2018 at 7:41 PM

You are welcome, Jay! I know you read a wide range of books from different genres. Was wondering if you chose particular genres to be covered in a particular reading period, or you do a random selection.

June 30, 2018 at 7:52 AM

Random. I try to balance my TBR each month with some ARCs and GIVEAWAYs, authors I know, authors from my publisher, authors / series I enjoy reading, and new books I find on the sites

Array said:
        June 30, 2018 at 9:36 PM

Random sounds interesting and more fun. Do you also like crime related, case solving kind of books? All fiction of course. I kind of like those, with mystery, children books, thrillers, adventures and romance now and then. 😉😆

July 1, 2018 at 7:11 AM

I do! I actually enjoy thriller / suspense / crime as long as it’s got a great story to it. I will read almost anything assuming the story appeals.

Kip Walkin said:
        July 2, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Aahh! It’s always about the story. I guess it’s the same for all readers and writers… Well, except for those who just flip through while waiting reluctantly for a boring colleague doing the groceries.😉😊 Can’t really call that reading in any form, can we?😉😆

Do have a fulfilling week ahead, Jay!👍👍

July 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Ha, probably not, you’re right!!!

You, too.

Kip Walkin said:
        July 4, 2018 at 3:10 AM

👍👍

Kip Walkin said:
    June 29, 2018 at 8:32 AM

I agree that listing it out will help keep you engaged and primed to meet the mark, which you are doing a great job of, I’ll say. Sorry I’ve been off and on the blog spot for a while, but hope to be around a lot more now.

Great job you’re doing, Jay.👍👍

Martie said:
    June 29, 2018 at 9:12 AM

I think I am one of the few who enjoyed “The Night Circus.” This is so ironic because I usually do not enjoy books with a magical theme.

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    June 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM

Oooo… Accountability. You’re a brave man!! I always change my mind about books, or something comes up and I have to get to one I didn’t plan on, but this is a great idea!! I really should get better organized!
    I can’t wait to see what you think of “Night Circus” that is LITERALLY sitting next to my bed right now (and for the passed 3 months or so) in hopes that I would find time to a tally read it! And I just (FINALLY) started Heir of Ashes yesterday (SORRY JINA!) I’ve had this on my next to read list for a couple of months as well. As soon as I go to pick it up, a blog tour or something comes up and de-rails everything! Hopefully, NOT THIS TIME! 💖🍻

June 29, 2018 at 5:36 PM

I know! Well, I’m finally down to 10 books I own so they will all be ready by 7/31 and I’m not buying anything for a bit. I’ll get a few ARCs and NetGalley awards, but in August, I’ll be more free to pick what I want in the moment!

Re-Jina, I’m reading that one probably 2nd week of July. 🙂 I can’t wait to see what you think of it.

Night Circus will start tomorrow or Sunday. I thought today but I have to finish one final book and I may take tomorrow off.

Sofii @A Book. A Thought. said:
    June 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM

I hope you enjoy The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, it has been in my TBR fo a while now and I haven’t read it yet so I’ll be waiting to see what you think about it 😊

(Danielle) Books, Vertigo and Tea said:
    June 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM

The Night Circus and Cottingley!!! I adore them both and hope you do as well 💕

shalini said:
    June 29, 2018 at 11:03 AM

Wow 18 books, amazing

June 29, 2018 at 12:10 PM

I can’t wait to read your thoughts on Heir of Ashes.

Nicole (Read. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.) said:
    June 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on Citadel! I read Labyrinth years ago and now it’s sitting on my shelf calling out for a reread before moving on to the other books in this series. Happy reading!

June 29, 2018 at 5:44 PM

I’ve wanted to read this for so long… it will probably be end of July, but I’m super excited. It’s a good series, but it gets a few knocks from others.

tylerus said:
    June 29, 2018 at 2:23 PM

I’m truly impressed. LOL Have fun! 🙂

Beware Of The Reader said:
    June 29, 2018 at 5:03 PM

You read 18 books???? I am so impressed!!

Phantom Paper said:
    June 30, 2018 at 10:43 AM

18 books! It’s a good month if I even finish HALF of that count! Great job, Jay 😁

June 30, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Thank you! I am a machine lately. Just finished the last review, too… so tomorrow I can start with new July books! 9 picked out for the month.

I just finished The Date and loved it! I should hopefully have my review posted in the next few days.☺️

July 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM

I have read The Night Circus. You will LOVE it!