The Terrace & Baxter

Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve shared any personal posts on the blog. After returning from the trip to England and Italy in May, my schedule got busier than expected. I introduced everyone to Baxter in early June, planted all the flowers and bushes on the NYC terrace garden in mid June, kicked off the Children’s Book Readathon in late June, and mentioned I’d started writing my next book in early July. With all these priorities being the focus of my day, as well as a massive about of reading and book reviews, getting online has been happening less frequently. We start the actual children’s book reading segment of the readathon in ten days and I will announce this upcoming week which book I’ve focused on writing. For now, I thought I’d share some photos on Baxter and the NYC terrace garden.

img_4345

If you’re new to my blog, a brief introduction… I live on the top floor of a 12-floor building in the middle of New York City where there’s very little green. Without a backyard, nature, and grass, it felt too plain and dull… hence why we turned the terrace into a giant garden with potted trees, flower boxes, growing vines, outdoor furniture, and a new water feature. It runs the length of the whole apartment and then wraps around both sides part way. I’m quite lucky to have this outdoor space, and when I roll out the awning, it’s actually not too bad even on a particularly hot day given the wind this high up keeps it a bit cooler.

img_4336img_4350img_4344img_4338img_4348img_4339img_4343img_4341img_4351img_4349img_4346img_4353

Baxter, a black and tan shiba inu puppy, is officially 4 months old and proving to be quite the little devious one. He’s actually adapted quite well with the overnight sleeping and ‘doing his business’ side of things. He’s only about 15 lbs. but quite SOLID. It’s like a brick wall when he goes on a running race around the apartment and slams into me. He’s finally received all his shots and was allowed to go to the park last week. He’s learning how to walk on his leash and play with other dogs. I’m very happy with his progress to date, but he also started official training this week to fix a few small issues. He’s almost sitting on command, but next we’ll focus on come, stay, and leave it. The only real concern so far is he’s a biter! It’s totally play-biting, and he only does it to W and to me. He’s an absolute perfect angel whenever anyone else visits. I spend most of my day cleaning up dirt he’s eaten out of potted plants, stuffing from stuffed animals he’s ripped apart, and spraying bitter apple on things. Last night, as we’re watching a movie, the lights started to flicker. It was in the middle of a torrential rain and wind storm, so we assumed that was part of the issue. After a little research, we found that Baxter had actually started biting an electric cord we thought was well-hidden behind the couch. Thankfully that ended with only a harsh lecture and and early bedtime! Maybe he’s learned his lesson, too.

img_4354

img_4291

img_4309

img_4286

img_4356

More updates in a few weeks. Hope you enjoyed a little peek inside my life at home right now!

img_4337

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews… here’s the scoop: I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My novels, Watching Glass Shatter and Father Figure, can be purchased on Amazon as electronic copies or physical copies. I write A LOT. I read A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll find the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge – words and humor. You can also find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators. Follow my blog with Bloglovin.

109 thoughts on “The Terrace & Baxter

foodzesty said:
    July 22, 2018 at 7:43 AM

I absolutely love the terrace garden Jay!!! and Oh myyyyy goshhhh Baxter is adorableeeeee….give him huge hugs from me and charlie…:) and just a few to you too hahahhahaa

theloyalbritwit said:
    July 22, 2018 at 7:48 AM

Nice hearing from you again! I love watching puppies grow up and explore; even though they’re mischievous! Love your terrace top garden wonderland and Baxter! 😊

July 22, 2018 at 8:08 AM

I appreciate it. I hope to be getting back on track soon. The terrace was a slow start since we were in May, but the blooms are finally coming!

shalini said:
    July 22, 2018 at 7:53 AM

Wooowwww lovely garden and everything is in bloom. It is fabulous… Baxter eats stuff he ain’t supposed to.. Tough for you. I loved your outdoor terrace. Beautiful

July 22, 2018 at 8:08 AM

I appreciate it. The terrace was a slow start this year since we were away during planting season in May. Everything’s a few weeks behind. 🙂

Baxter eats everything… plants, branches, bugs… there isn’t an hour that goes by where I’m not pulling something out of his mouth and saying “NO!” 🙂

shalini said:
        July 22, 2018 at 9:06 AM

Omg…. That’s really bad Jay you have 24×7 job except when he sleeps… Sleep and get other work done when he sleeps. Are all pups like this?

July 22, 2018 at 9:09 AM

Yes, maybe not as much of a biter as he is, but we’re working on it! :O

shalini said:
        July 22, 2018 at 9:12 AM

Ooooo. 😳

July 22, 2018 at 8:43 AM

Baxter is perfect! Such a good boy!💚💚💚

Beware Of The Reader said:
    July 22, 2018 at 8:46 AM

Jay this is a little Heaven you have there!!!! A small slice of green paradise 😉 And Baxter is a little pirate LOL. I am happy you went back to share some slice of your day to day life. I miss your 360 posts! So thank you and enjoy your terrace with Baxter 🙂

July 22, 2018 at 9:07 AM

Thank you so much! I appreciate it. I miss writing them, but I just can’t commit with everything going on these days. LOL

Callum McLaughlin said:
    July 22, 2018 at 9:09 AM

No matter how mischievous they can get, it’s so hard to be annoyed with them when they’re that cute, isn’t it? 😋 Lovely pics!

July 22, 2018 at 5:58 PM

Thanks! Yes, totally. He is he most adorable pup, but he can do so much damage. I get mad, then I feel mega guilty.

Mary Deal said:
    July 22, 2018 at 9:39 AM

Thank you for sharing a bit of your private life. You have an oasis right there in the middle of NYC. Looks to be quite a lot of work keeping up maintenance of the plants but well worth the effort. You’re probably the envy of your neighbors. and Baxter? Well, he will probably end up being one of the great loves of your life. What a cutie, mischievous and all.

July 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Ah, Mary. You always say the most wonderful things. I appreciate it. It’s been a good summer and I am very lucky. Baxter went on his first train trip to visit my parents today. He was not a fan of his carrier, but he survived.

Martie said:
    July 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM

I miss living in the big apple. The puppy is adorable and the garden looks magnificent. I’m a plant lover also, tons of work or should I say a work of love.

July 22, 2018 at 6:00 PM

I appreciate it. I wish all my online friends live here in NYC so I could thru a big terrace party for you all! 🙂

Carrie Rubin said:
    July 22, 2018 at 10:18 AM

What a beautiful space you’ve created for yourself in the city. It’s a perfect place to curl up and read. With Baxter at your side, of course!

roseelaineblog said:
    July 22, 2018 at 10:21 AM

Your terrace looks amazing, well done. Baxter is not as verbal as Ryder was probably because he is too busy biting 😉

July 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM

You are 100% right. Whereas Ryder chatted online a lot, Baxter likes to bite the keyboard. BUT, he does like to talk in real life, so he’s constantly making new noises all day long. 🙂

Cathy said:
    July 22, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Your terrace looks fabulous, an oasis in the city 🌴 And Baxter is very cute 💖

Jessica Rachow said:
    July 22, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Your terrace is beautiful! Ahh, the puppy days. Good times. My girl, Cheyenne was a biter too. She grew out of that, and became a licker instead. Now, you can’t go anywhere in the house, barefoot, unless you’re cool with having your feet cleaned. Puppy days are rough, but also go incredibly fast! I remember when I could pick Chey up, like it was yesterday…now she has some grey hair! It’s hard to be mad at the little monsters too, but it’s all worth the trouble. 😊

July 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM

Oh, Cheyenne! 🙂 She sounds so wonderful. It is hard to be mad. I feel like I yell “no” all day. LOL It feels so funny when they lick your feet!!!

Jessica Rachow said:
        July 22, 2018 at 6:52 PM

Lol when we first got Cheyenne, we were trying to think of a name. Took us a bit, so she started coming to “no,” “come here,” and “good girl” 😂

July 23, 2018 at 6:57 AM

too funny awww

E. Denise Billups said:
    July 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM

James, as a fellow New Yorker, I understand how lucky you are having that beautiful green terrace. Not many New Yorkers get there personal outdoor space. I hope Baxter enjoys it and you have some festive outdoor get-togethers with family and friends.

tylerus said:
    July 22, 2018 at 12:27 PM

What a stunning terrace – wish I had one. And Baxter’s so adorably huggable and kissable.

July 22, 2018 at 6:05 PM

I’m sure he’d hug and kiss you back. He loves to give hugs actually. Throws himself on me and wraps his paws around my neck. 🙂

Thank you!!!!

tidalscribe said:
    July 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM

I love your terrace and Baxter is so sweet. I am addicted to gardening and planting up tubs to add dimension to our little ground level plot. If I lived up in the air like you I would want a terrace garden, but when I see balconys and roof gardens I wonder how they manage to water them without watering the neighbours below or the whole building collapsing with the extra weight!

July 22, 2018 at 6:06 PM

I appreciate it. And you’re so right. Our neighbor below once came to tell me that my sprinkler was dripping over the side and on to their window and then into their apartment. It was minimal, but it was because the waster was pooling on the edge and kept pouring down in 1 spot. I fixed that.

We do have a drain pipe (you can see it in one of the pics) so it must go somewhere! 🙂

Gayla Magee Stevens said:
    July 22, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Your outdoor garden is beautiful!
    Baxter is super cute too.

July 22, 2018 at 6:07 PM

Thanks, Gayla! Coming to visit early August. Perhaps we will connect!

Oh my gosh! Your garden is just exquisite Jay! It’s like a little pice of paradise in the middle of NYC! And Baxter, how cute is he? I remember Lacey at that age chewing on everything in sight. And her baby teeth were needle sharp, I have a tiny scar on my index finger where one of them scraped me while we were playing one day. Anyway, he’s absolutely precious and thank goodness he didn’t electrocute himself!

July 22, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Hi Kim! I appreciate it. We do have a bit of paradise in a very urban place. I am quite lucky.

Like needles, you are absolutely correct. Ouch, a scar! That’s no good. LOL I know it happens, I’ve had scratches to date and I’m just waiting for the first bleeder.

watchingthedaisies said:
    July 22, 2018 at 1:59 PM

I love your terrace. It is a beautiful haven. Baxter is a lucky dog and the very handsome indeed.

July 22, 2018 at 6:10 PM

He is a handsome guy. But he hates the camera and won’t sit still. Most of my photos are awful! LOL

Candace Peterson said:
    July 22, 2018 at 5:17 PM

So much green and blossoms. Lovely terrace garden. I don’t have a green thumb so I appreciate those that do. Baxter is getting big. Exploring too, huh? We have a cat that eats cords. Scares the tarnations out of me. Bet Baxter enjoyed the dog park. Give him a hug and doggy toy from me.

July 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Poor cat. What are they thinking? Sometimes I want them to get a mini shock from it (not to permanently hurt them) just so they realize it’s bad and never do it again.

I will give him your messages later tonight. We took him on a train to visit my parents today. Just got home. He’s sleeping on the couch!!!

Create Space said:
    July 22, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Welcome back Jay and with your wonderful new addition. Thanks for sharing some lovely photos of your haven!

anne leueen said:
    July 22, 2018 at 8:34 PM

your roof terrace garden is splendid. What an oasis in the center of the city. Baxter is a cutie. it is a bit like having a toddler or an infant who can crawl.there is no end of mischief they can get up to! thanks for the update!

July 23, 2018 at 6:57 AM

Thank you! It completely is, you are right. Just realized both our cherished ‘pets’ have names with a B. How’s your B doing?

anne leueen said:
        July 23, 2018 at 5:22 PM

He’s been a bit of a stinker today but tomorrow is another day. He is completely well health wise however!

July 23, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Aww. Glad health is good!

anne leueen said:
        July 23, 2018 at 8:30 PM

Thabks . Once he is back to being a bit of a monkey I know he is feeling good.

LA said:
    July 22, 2018 at 8:42 PM

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Jenn @ Bound to Writing said:
    July 22, 2018 at 8:53 PM

Your terrace is beautiful! And Baxter is adorable! Even if he’s a bit of a trouble maker.

The Cozy Pages said:
    July 22, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Well Jay, if the writing does;work out I think you could also have a career in outdoor design 😉
    Baxter… he makes me want a new puppy ❤️☺️

jenniereads said:
    July 23, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Beautiful photos. Small idea for Baxter. After having 32 foster pups go through our house we have discovered nylabones and most toys made by Kong are worth the investment. Enjoy!

July 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM

That’s so wonderful to hear. You’re so good! I agree on Kong! 🙂

Cozynookbks said:
    July 23, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Your garden terrace looks spectacular, Jay!! I love all the container flowers and the furniture that fits so nicely into the space. BEAUTIFUL!!😊

Baxter is a cute little devil (and I mean that affectionately). When I had our German Shepherd she used to chew up EVERYTHING until she got a little older. I think she was teething because we’d find her little baby teeth around the house. Interestingly, our cat used to chew electric cords, but only thin ones like lightening cords for our Apple devices. 🙄 When he’s feeling feisty he still does it, but not as often since he’s almost 18 and can’t be bothered. Out of habit I still try to keep them concealed.
    How big will Baxter get? He’s quite small at 15 pounds, although solid.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures with us today. 😊

July 23, 2018 at 7:17 PM

Hi! Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Everything came together nicely outside.

He is cute and a devil! 🙂 everything? Poor German Shepherd! I can see a cat doing it. Feisty sounds like a good description.

Baxter will be about 30 pounds tho I fear he may be more.

I’ve made a lot of progress with my latest book. Can’t wait to share it with a few early cozy readers. Shocking how fast it’s come together. Nervous too!

What’s new by you?

Cozynookbks said:
        July 24, 2018 at 8:57 AM

Yeah….our German Shepherd chewed up my glasses, shoes, …. 🤦🏽‍♀️

I’m reading an excellent cozy ARC right now by Libby Klein called Midnight Snacks are Murder. OMG….it is so funny thus far!! I totally didn’t expect it to be so entertaining. I’m really enjoying it.

I’m happy to hear you’re venturing into the cozy mystery subgenre!! I remember you hinted at that a while back. When will you be revealing to us more details about it?

July 24, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Today! I just posted a few hints. 🙂

Cozynookbks said:
        July 24, 2018 at 2:05 PM

☺️

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
    July 23, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Hi James! I loved reading your update. I can’t believe what a beautiful garden you have right in the middle of New York City! And Baxter is just doing his job as a puppy. I have a cat who recently turned one and I do miss some of the lovely vases and dishes he decided to knock over just the hear the “kaboom.” He kicks things over less often these days, but when I hear a crash coming from another room in my house, I don’t even bother to get up and look at the damage right away. It is what it is.

July 23, 2018 at 7:17 PM

I think your cat and my dog should go to training together!! I like your reaction. It is what it is!!

My mom is starting your book this week 🙂

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
        July 23, 2018 at 8:07 PM

Ha ha! Great idea! Please let me know your mom’s reactions to my book–positive and negative. I always like to know. 🙂

July 23, 2018 at 8:26 PM

Definitely!!! I’m going with her next Tuesday for her birthday to Barnes and noble. I have some money to spend. 🙂

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
        July 23, 2018 at 8:29 PM

Have fun with the money and buy something that makes you smile. Just as you made me smile.

Carrie said:
    July 23, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Baxter is definitely a cutie and I think I can just picture curling up on that sofa with a good book and enjoying the lovely weather all the time. Looks like such a peaceful place to hide out away from the busy city. 🙂

July 23, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Yes! In the spring and fall it’s fantastic. 🙂

How’s your summer going?

Carrie said:
        July 24, 2018 at 5:58 AM

Pretty good and our weather is looking even better here for at least the next week, it had been pretty darn hot. 🙂

Judy said:
    July 23, 2018 at 10:29 AM

The terrace is gorgeous! And Baxter is adorable. ❤

bookstalkerblog said:
    July 23, 2018 at 11:17 AM

welcome back, love your puppy! We got our dog when we lived in Okinawa, he is a shiba inu mix, he was rescued out of a cave in Okinawa- best dogs! Love all the plants and flowers too!

July 23, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Thanks. A mix! How cool. They are very intelligent, aren’t they?

robbiesinspiration said:
    July 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM

YOur balcony garden is amazing, Jay. How wonderful to have created this in the middle of a concrete jungle like New York.

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    July 24, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Jay, this is beautiful!!! I have such a brown thumb, I kill EVERYTHING… I’m very jelly right now!

carhicks said:
    July 25, 2018 at 10:49 PM

This garden is gorgeous. You really have a green thumb. Baxter is absolutely adorable. So happy you have another fur baby to love.

July 26, 2018 at 6:29 AM

W did most of the work this year on the terrace while I was on Baxter duty. 🙂

Thank you!

Jacqueline Sullivan said:
    July 27, 2018 at 8:59 PM

Glad you shared the pictures. Your roof garden is beautiful. What a wonderful space. It always amazes me to see how beautiful these roof gardens can be. Don’t see many of these in So. California. All the best, J.L.S.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 4:36 AM, This Is My Truth Now wrote:

> James J. Cudney IV posted: “Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve shared any > personal posts on the blog. After returning from the trip to England and > Italy in May, my schedule got busier than expected. I introduced everyone > to Baxter in early June, planted all the flowers and bushes o” >

July 28, 2018 at 7:16 AM

Thank you very much. But Southern California has tons of other beautiful things!

July 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM

The terrace is stunning! I could read there all day, every day. Baxter is looking wonderful as well! ❤

misifusa said:
    July 28, 2018 at 12:51 PM

You need to install a LOVE button! What a beautiful garden terrace Jay! It’s breath-taking. How I wish we could meet so that I could invite myself up (hee hee) for a glass of wine and playtime with Baxter! I’m great at puppy play! Thank you for showing us your stunning terrace! Are you or is W the master gardener? I adore the fountain, the inpatients and all of the care you’ve taken to make such an oasis in the middle of the city! Please give Baxter a smooch for me. He looks like an adorable stuffed animal, but he also has that mischievous glimmer which delights me (because I’m not his parent! LOL). Best of luck with puppy training! Thanks again for sharing him with all of us!

July 28, 2018 at 2:01 PM

W and I split the work, but this year he’s taken the lead on the terrace and I’m focusing on training Baxter. 🙂

If you’re ever in NY, let me know and you can stop by!

xoxo

misifusa said:
        August 2, 2018 at 9:50 AM

I would love it! Thank you! You’re both doing a great job! xoxo

mainepaperpusher said:
    July 29, 2018 at 3:36 PM

What a wonderful garden and Baxter is a dear. I can’t wait to see more posts about him. ❤️

July 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Soon! I just finished writing book 3’s first draft. Going out of town next week to visit family. Then I’ll be posting more. 🙂

moorezart said:
    July 31, 2018 at 8:34 AM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    July 31, 2018 at 9:33 AM

Wow! To have that sort of outdoor space in NYC is AMAZING!! I won’t even THINK about how much it must cost!! 😂😂😍 Baxter is absolutely adorable! He’ll probably grow out of the biting. That’s the problem with getting male animals of any sort, they tend to be more aggressive when young. I still have scars from my cat… But, he was possessed by Satan. I’m pretty sure I’ve exorcized that demon and he just sleeps 17 hrs a day now. 😉😂

July 31, 2018 at 3:22 PM

I am lucky! Feel free to visit nyc and stop by for drinks on the terrace. 🙂

Devil cat. Yikes. Exorcisms sound fun. I bet you enjoyed it.

June Lorraine Roberts said:
    July 31, 2018 at 10:34 AM

What a lovely garden space you have created, and Baxter is pretty cute. You’ll receive much enjoyment from both.

dbmoviesblog said:
    August 1, 2018 at 9:06 PM

This is such an adorable puppy you have – cuteness personified 🙂 Can you tell me what breed is that, please?

August 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM

Baxter is adorable, and so is your garden space. You’ve done such a lot with what you were given to work with, just shows your creativity and originality!

August 5, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Thank you. I’m in Louisiana this weekend — probably not as far from you again!

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    August 11, 2018 at 4:57 AM

These pics are gorgeous! And such a cutie!

lorriebowden said:
    August 19, 2018 at 7:30 PM

Love the space…LOVE THE PUP!!!
    Blessings.