Children’s Readathon – Robbie Cheadle’s Biscuit Art Sailing Boats

I’m hosting a children’s book readathon in the month of August 2018. We’re reading 2 or 3 books each week ranging from children’s pictures to young adult novels, including a few award winners and authors who blog. We’re currently in our third week reading 2 young adult books: Charlotte’s Web and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. To learn more, check out the main page at the Children’s Book Readathon.

Throughout the month, we’ve highlighted books from Robbie Cheadle, a wonderful and talented author who has at least a dozen extraordinary books she co-writes and co-designs with her children. Check out previous posts on her author spotlight and latest short story. Today, we’re in for a special treat as Robbie shares with us some baking tips… and knowing how amazing all the dessert photos look from her blog and books, this is one we’re all gonna want to read and learn. BISCUIT ART! SAIL BOATS! HOW FUN!

download (1)

(a preview of the book cover we’re reading in two weeks!)

***

(Biscuit Art from Robbie!)

I discovered during my days as a Sunday School teacher, that small children love biscuit art. It is easier to co-ordinate in a classroom than a baking activity as no baking is required. I started making up all sorts of different designs for fun objects that children could make with their parents at home or at school under the guidance of a teacher.

One of Michael and my favourite designs is this sailing boat which is made from finger and wafer biscuits.

I find that royal icing works best for making biscuit art as it dries up hard quite quickly. You can find my recipe video to make royal icing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYuknMJYNCI&feature=youtu.be. I spoon a few scoops of royal icing into a sealable plastic sandwich bag. When I am ready to use the icing, I nip a small bit off one of the corners of the plastic bag and it works very well as an icing bag. A few children can share one bag of icing.

To make this fun sailing ship you need the following: 1 finger biscuit, 1 wafer biscuit, 1 square Licorice Allsorts broken apart, 4 Smarties and a small quantity of royal icing.

To make the boat, cut the wafer biscuit in half from one corner to the opposite corner. Trim one of the halves to make it shorter as per the picture. These will be the sails. Squirt a thin line of royal icing along the long edge of the larger sail. Attach the smaller sail to the larger one (straight sides together). Cut one of the coloured square pieces of the Licorice Allsort in half and then attach it to the larger sail just above where the smaller sail ends. Let this harden for a few minutes.

Squirt a thin line of royal icing along the bottom of the joined sails and attach them to the finger biscuit boat. Hold it in place for 10 to 20 seconds until it is firmly stuck. Attach the Smarties as decorations.

Michael made a wonderful sailing boat [better than mine]. He had a great idea of using a jelly baby for a sailor. This is his creation:

bottom.jpg

Michael also added a rudder [How will you steer it otherwise, Mom? – how indeed [grin!]

***

So who’s gonna be the first to make one and share it with everyone on the blog???

About Me
I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My debut novel, Watching Glass Shatter, can be purchased on Amazon @ http://mybook.to/WGS.  My second novel, Father Figure, can be purchased on Amazon @ http://mybook.to/FatherFigure.

Beyond these two books, I have a number of short stories, poems and other novels in various shapes and forms. I also read A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll also find TV & Film reviews, Tags, Awards, Age/Genre/Book Reads and Author Spotlights, as well as the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge.

You can also access my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

38 thoughts on “Children’s Readathon – Robbie Cheadle’s Biscuit Art Sailing Boats

Untraveled Routes said:
    August 20, 2018 at 8:39 AM

Readathlon – That is so interesting!! I have a three year old and I can’t explain how much it excites him to do new activity every day. I haven’t tried baking yet but I think I soon will.

August 20, 2018 at 9:00 AM

This would be fun! Robbie’s awesome with ideas, definitely check out her site. 🙂

robbiesinspiration said:
      August 20, 2018 at 12:43 PM

I am sure your son will love baking. It has always been a great hit with all the children who visit my home.

watchingthedaisies said:
    August 20, 2018 at 10:11 AM

What a terrific idea! I love the jelly baby sailor. Definitely one to try with my grand nieces 😊

August 20, 2018 at 10:19 AM

What a cute creation! 😉

August 20, 2018 at 11:42 AM

How cute! I used to love making things like this with my kids.

robbiesinspiration said:
    August 20, 2018 at 12:42 PM

Reblogged this on Robbie's inspiration and commented:
    Michael and I are visiting This is My Truth Now blog hosted by James Cudney with a post on how to make a sailing boat out of biscuits, sweets and icing as part of his Children’s Readathon. Thanks for having us over Jay!

robbiesinspiration said:
    August 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Thank you, Jay, for having us over with this fun biscuit art post. I am so pleased the video link worked.

Annette Rochelle Aben said:
    August 20, 2018 at 1:33 PM

What imagination! Those wee boats are sweet ( in more ways than one )

Beware Of The Reader said:
    August 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM

OMG that’s just my kind of book: yummy! 😉

Norah said:
    August 21, 2018 at 6:35 AM

Children would love making these sailing boat biscuits.

carhicks said:
    August 21, 2018 at 8:23 AM

I love this boat. I could have made this over and over with my Sunday School children, we are always making boats. Thanks for sharing this.

robbiesinspiration said:
      August 22, 2018 at 2:20 PM

It is perfect for a 1 hour Sunday School lesson. I always choose a story that goes with the boat creation like Noah’s Ark and the kids love it.

carhicks said:
        August 22, 2018 at 10:34 PM

Thanks Robbie. I am sure they will have a lot of fun.

Teri Polen said:
    August 22, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Well, of course you need a rudder. So cute!

OIKOS™-Redaktion said:
    August 22, 2018 at 10:03 PM

Amazing! I want to have some of your ideas creating so wonderful art, and Michael technical understanding. This is thinking, should we say wisdom of its best. Michael

[…] Children’s Readathon – Robbie Cheadle’s Biscuit Art Sailing Boats […]

jjspina said:
    August 30, 2018 at 9:28 PM

Thank you, Jay, for sharing this creative post by talented Author and baker, Robbie Cheadle. Nice job on the sail board, Robbie and Michael. This is a fun project for kids to try and the best part, they can eat it afterwards. Nice!