My Next Readathon – Input?

With two successful readathons under our belt this year, I’m ready to plan the next one. In April, we held the fantastic Agatha Christie Readathon where we read 4 of her amazing books and shared brilliant reviews. In August, we held the fun Children’s Books Readathon where we read 10 books from a range of authors and shared awesome reviews. What’s next?

I’m targeting November for the readathon so we’re not too busy at the end of the year and right around some of the bigger holidays. I’ve got a few ideas, but I’d love to hear suggestions from everyone before I send out a poll with the topics and books. To kick it off, here’s a few thoughts:

1. Book Series
    • Choose a book series with 4 books and read them all
  2. Cozy Mysteries
    • Pick a few themes from cooking to ghosts to pets to quilting
  3. Books with Numbers as the Title
    • It could be only a number or just be the main part of the title
  4. Historical Fiction By Year
    1. Pick books taking place in the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s and 1900s

November 2018 - Choose 4 Books to Read & Review

Let’s start thinking through our options… reply here thru 9/15 and then I’ll setup a poll to pick which one. Thanks!

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews… here’s the scoop: I’m Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My stand-alone novels, Watching Glass Shatter and Father Figure, can be purchased on Amazon as electronic copies or physical copies. The debut book, Academic Curveball, in my new mystery series, Braxton Campus Mysteries will fit those who love cozy mysteries and crime investigations. I read, write, and blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll find the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge –and multiple Readathons. You can also find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators. Follow my blog with Bloglovin.

57 thoughts on “My Next Readathon – Input?

Leafさんの夢が。。。 said:
    September 9, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Historical fiction by year sounds pretty good, as I’ve not read many historical fiction. I recently finished The 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did. Hopefully, I can find more books like that one set in different time periods.

September 9, 2018 at 7:26 PM

I do want to read that, but I’m trying to figure out if it’s different from 7 1/2 Husbands?

tahenryauthoress said:
    September 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM

love a cozy marathon!

Candace Peterson said:
    September 9, 2018 at 5:16 PM

Historical Fiction by Year sounds good to me.

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    September 9, 2018 at 6:06 PM

Hmm. I’m stuck between Historical Fiction by Year and the Book Series. 🤔 After much pondering I’m gonna vote for the Book Series.☺️📕📗📘📙

foodinbooks said:
    September 9, 2018 at 7:08 PM

Why not historical fiction with a specific focus on a regime? Like Louis XIV the Sun King or Henry VIII or something similar? Or. a subject near and dear to my heart, Historical Fiction with a Focus on Grandiose Food? Just a thought. 😉

September 9, 2018 at 7:27 PM

Good input. I’m open to that. Food would be a good one! I might have to add all these options and say ‘pick 2’ then combine em!

Lisa@LismorePaper said:
    September 9, 2018 at 7:24 PM

Ooh historical fiction sounds very good. 😊

anne leueen said:
    September 9, 2018 at 9:01 PM

Not that I will be taking part in reading for the Readathon but I would LOVE to see the reviews of a historical fiction readathon.

AJ said:
    September 9, 2018 at 9:18 PM

Oh those all sound good! I wouldn’t be able to choose!

b0rn_2_read said:
    September 9, 2018 at 11:58 PM

I would love a cozy mystery readathon 😍

Lolsy's Library said:
    September 10, 2018 at 5:41 AM

Woooo, cozy!

watchingthedaisies said:
    September 10, 2018 at 9:13 AM

Cozy mysteries would be my favourite Jay.

Martie said:
    September 10, 2018 at 9:56 AM

Historical fiction is my favorite genre so it gets my vote.

thebookwormdrinketh said:
    September 10, 2018 at 11:51 AM

I’m going with books with numbers!… Don’t know why, it just seems like there could be some interesting choices!! 💖💖 Might I recommend 14 by Peter Clines? Everyone needs some Lovecraftian thrills in their lives!! 👍👍😍

September 10, 2018 at 5:51 PM

I think we need to combine a few cats. Poll will go up next week to choose the topic, then we’ll add books. If numbers makes it, I’ll definitely add it!

robbiesinspiration said:
    September 10, 2018 at 1:18 PM

I like historical fiction, Jay. That is my choice.

Nicole (Read. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.) said:
    September 10, 2018 at 1:37 PM

These are all fun ideas, I don’t know which I’d choose!

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    September 10, 2018 at 3:08 PM

I need to get back to reading more. Life has been so chaotic this year but I know important work has to be done and is still commencing.

September 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM

How are you doing?

I try to make time every day, just because it relaxes or excites me. Not always easy. I understand!

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        September 12, 2018 at 9:19 AM

That is a great priority to have and I totally understand. For me time is chasing each day and most of it is dedicated taking care of Mom. It’s hard to balance the rest that is actually mine, but I have started to get back into the habit of reading at night before bed. Now that it is getting cooler and I can keep the window closed without worrying to attract the mosquitos to the light. Yep, all sorts of issues going on. Hope you are doing great Jay. Hugs

September 12, 2018 at 2:32 PM

You’re an amazing daughter. She’s incredibly proud of you. 🙂 Stay away from those bugs, too! 🙂 HUGS

RhapsodyBoheme said:
        September 13, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Awe thank you so much Jay. Luckily the bugs have eased off and I hope I’m not jinxing myself in any way now. Hugs

September 10, 2018 at 8:46 PM

Oh I’m liking the book series idea!!

September 10, 2018 at 10:04 PM

Mystery book series with numbers in the titles set in historical times. LOL If those are out there I know you can find them, Jay. Looking forward to participating again.

Brizzy Mays Books and Bruschetta said:
    September 11, 2018 at 2:57 AM

I’ve never participated in one of these but it sounds fun.

joylennick said:
    September 11, 2018 at 4:02 AM

I have never participated either, but very interesting. All of the suggestions sound good, but may I add HUMOUR? i am an eclectic writer so also enjoy writing humorous poetry and stories with a twist in the tail. At the risk of being forward, may I mention a slim volume I recently wrote with my husband: ‘The Moon is Wearing a Tutu’? A book of poems and jokes to make you smile, guffaw or laugh out loud.(Amazon & Kindle) LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE OF ALL.Thank you. Best wishes.

Jennie said:
    September 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM

I like all 4, James. Books with a series of at least 4, and historical fiction by year would be my faves.

Heidi M. Simone said:
    September 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Of the four you suggested, I really like the book series idea. No four-part series comes to mind right now, but I’m sure I could find something. 🙂

For another suggestion (if you wanted one), how about choosing a weekly supernatural/mythological creature and/or legend? Or maybe choosing a retelling of a fairy tale, myth, and/or legend? What do you think?

September 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Will be glad for y’all to do the deciding. May be able to participate, maybe not…very busy time of year: birthday, Thanksgiving, end of semester, etc.

Winding Up the Week #35 – Book Jotter said:
    September 15, 2018 at 12:50 AM

[…] and has plenty of suggestions to share with everyone, which he’s helpfully included in his post, My Next Readathon – Input? at This is My Truth Now. He would, however, value your input and asks that you please submit […]

dray0308 said:
    September 15, 2018 at 8:15 AM

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often.

moorezart said:
    September 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

September 16, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Thanks for everyone’s feedback! Poll to be posted this week for choosing the theme!

September 21, 2018 at 8:21 AM